Re: The Pleasure Dome, or better the Consciousness Dome

  • RoseRose
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 12, 2008
      Ah, but artists are so DANGEROUS, often exposing us to what critic Wendy
      Steiner calls "The Scandal of Pleasure." Take Coleridge, for example.
      (clipped from Wikipedia)

      In Xanadu did Kubla KhanA stately pleasure-dome decree:Where Alph, the
      sacred river, ranThrough caverns measureless to manDown to a sunless sea.

      Coleridge claimed that the poem was inspired by an
      opium-induced (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium)
      dream (implicit in the poem's subtitle *A Vision in a Dream*) but that the
      composition was interrupted by a person from
      Porlock (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_from_Porlock).
      Some have speculated that the vivid imagery of the poem stems from a waking
      hallucination albeit, most likely, opium-induced.

      In contemplating the uses of the dome, shall we be artists? Or (unwitting)
      persons from Porlock?

      RoseRose

      On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 4:41 PM, gill russell <gill.russell@...>
      wrote:

      > Well that is what artists can do well ....without preaching ...which
      > puts people off.

      > I remember seeing a video installation at the Tate Modem in London
      > which made me acutely aware of the uncomfortable voyeurism around
      > up market tourism. In this case it was people from the western
      > world paying huge amounts of money to observe 'indigenous tribes' in
      > far flung places practising 'rituals' and buying souvenirs in the
      > form of artifacts.

      > I could not possible describe it in words but it was a very clever
      > connection the artist created and it made you feel very
      > uncomfortable without actually being openly didactic.

      > It relied mainly on cleverly shot interviews.

      > Hire more artists!

      > Gill (artist :-))
    • erik ART
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 13, 2008

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_principle_%28psychology%29
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_principle

        > In contemplating the uses of the dome, shall we be artists? Or (unwitting)
        > persons from Porlock?

        "Porlocks" are those who hold Reason above all else. Poets prefer poetry.
        As Alan Watts said, "One has to get used, fundamentally, to the notion that
        different things are inseparable."

        cameraderie
      • erik ART
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 13, 2008
          On 13/6/08 5:13 AM, "Ed Lantz" <ed@...> wrote:

          > In 1958 - the early days of television - CBS Newsman Edward R. Murrow
          > warned:

          > "This instrument [TV] can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even
          > inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to
          > use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box."

          Ed, so much in your post my head is spinning. Please allow me a few,
          probably crass, observations. The problem with TV, cinema and the
          computer is that they offer only one way of seeing the World. Imagine if
          you grew up with only one kind of atlas. All maps, you mistakenly
          believed, were printed on flat paper. Then, suddenly, someone hands you
          a globe. Now you instantly see where you come from in a more complete
          way.

          That damn rectangular frame, sorry, "orthagonal" format, shreds reality
          into a million pieces. The dome gives us back our innate capacity to
          look up and wonder. Like King Arthur's famous round table, the dome is
          everyone's home, spiritually speaking.

          > Others would still hold to the "vast wasteland" critique, pointing to
          > gratuitous violence, shallow dramas, sensationalistic news programming
          > and commercial spots that clutter our minds while luring us into crass
          > consumerism.

          I'm surprised you didn't mention the Internet. Have you had your eyes checked lately? Seriously, premature sight deficiency is upon us, thanks to the w.w.w. Fulldome will never debilitate anyone's eyesight, that's a fact.

          > It just doesn't make good business sense to take such risks, even though it
          > may be the "right" thing to do. This method of following fads and trends
          > maximizes profits, but also contributes to the "wasteland." Granted, there
          > are notable exceptions.

          Yes, by God, there are many fine exceptions. Genuine television can shake the
          establishment to its foundations and tell the People what they need to know.

          So, what of the dome? As a delivery system (pixels, lumens, data, bits
          per second), fulldome is growing into the most powerful media/data
          delivery systems on the planet. Can we ultimately prevent domes from
          becoming another "wasteland" of cheap thrills and video game violence?

          Reasons to be cheerful, in my opinion:

          The stereotypic thrills and spills of Hollywood action films don¹t
          translate well in the dome, because of the cutting rate.

          > ... we also need a better understanding of why Hollywood movies, video
          > games, and virtual worlds are so seductively popular.

          ADD syndrome and the sort of media you are referring to would seem to
          have a lot in common. I insist that it is the rectangular geometry of
          the frame that allows the random segmentation of continuous reality (or
          pseudo-reality) into "scenes". Fulldome, by way of contrast, tends to
          re-connect us to the entire biosphere.

          > We then need to using these powerful tools and technologies to intentionally
          > craft immersive experiences that are deeply transformative, useful, educational,
          > meaningful.

          What you are saying, Monsieur Ed, is that, in order to realise the full
          potential of fulldome, those within the emerging industry have an
          obligation to continue to Humanise its content. This is why it's so
          awful to know that, somewhere, people with deadly motives are using this
          awesome medium to train young men and women to kill. Simulation is not
          (only) what fulldome digital video technology was designed for. I'm sure
          Brauersfeld had something better in mind for Humanity.

          > My definition of Transformative or Transformational Media is a media-based
          > experience that substantially alters a person's "possibility space" or life
          > path. That is, when a visitor leaves the dome that are forever changed in
          > some fundamental (positive) manner, and as a result, their life takes a turn
          > in a direction that is more beneficial for themselves and the planet. This
          > might include discovering new facts, cultures, connections; it could be the
          > experience of epiphany, realization or revelation; it could be a spiritual
          > experience, sometimes described as a numinous or "unity" experience; or it
          > could be an awakening to a deeper empathy, compassion or love for one's
          > self, for others, or for the planet. Many of these are not formal
          > educational goals, but they are the kinds of experiences that really change
          > people and make for a better world. And they are the kind of experiences
          > that a dome is well suited for, in my opinion.

          > Transformed individuals will lead to a transformed world.

          I had one of those transformative experiences here in the Brisbane
          Planetarium when I saw the AMNH's "Passport". It literally changed my
          whole concept of Space / the Universe in a few minutes. Came away
          thinking everyone should see this film! It truly creates a new
          perception in your head and you can feel the dots connecting inside
          yourself. But, after a while, due to lack of reinforcement, the new
          perception is gradually overwhelmed by old perceptions.

          > Transformative Media uses digital media to:

          > Open the Mind - Information, education - empowering truths bring new
          > understanding

          > Shift the Heart - Empathy, compassion, understanding, fun - emotional shift
          > towards love, respect, joy, happiness

          > Activate the Spirit - Sense of awe, mystery, ecstasy, bliss, unity -
          > elevated "quality of consciousness"

          > Soothe the Beast - Invoke positive moods, relaxation, regeneration, "digital
          > spa"

          Very comprehensive. You keep coming back to Humanity and our unrealised
          potentials.

          Hollywood programming uses time-tested tools to (willingly) commandeer
          our nervous systems and take us on an emotional ride.

          Here is my gauntlet. What you have just said also applies to voices I
          have heard in the fulldome community. That is that fulldome films must
          take the spectator on an emotional "ride". This is the point at which
          you, as a community, can best distinguish yourselves from OmniMax. How,
          exactly, does fulldome do it differently? Nothing wrong with an
          emotional ride ­ hell, that¹s what film makers do best ­ but, surely,
          the fulldome ride is something that the inventors of Imax could never
          have contemplated nor dream of emulating. That is, Totalities. That's
          what you guys do best. You put Humpty back together again, for all the
          rest of us. God bless you all.

          (some argue that transformation in fact lies at the very root of all
          entertainment). What is missing is a pledge to leave the moviegoer
          positively transformed, to uplift rather than depress, to educate rather
          than mislead.

          You know, it takes someone like Andrei Tarkovsky, who basically devoted
          his life to making 7 great films that transformed film culture forever,
          to show us what Cinema was actually invented for. Who will be the
          Tarkovsky or the Bela Tarr of the dome?

          So what would it look like if we purposefully learn and apply these
          transformative affective/cognitive modalities to the powerful fulldome
          medium with an intent to meaningfully transform our audiences? Many of
          you are already striving to do this, I know.

          In my own small way, I¹m in the middle of editing a series of test
          pieces for projection in a portable dome in Byron Bay, here in
          Australia. It¹s owned by Adam Spinner, a smart young entrepreneur who
          intends to tour his new acquisition to major population centres on the
          east coast. His main market is the techno-savy 17 ­ 30 demographic
          who¹ve seen everything, except fulldome.

          Ask yourself this question: what shifts in consciousness, understanding,
          emotion, etc. would result in a better world? Here's some thoughts:

          1) How about a show designed to engender an awareness that the earth is
          finite and the powerful tools of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering
          & Math) can be used responsibly to vastly improve everyone's quality of
          life (or used irresponsibly to destroy it)?

          Just as generals need fulldome to fully comprehend a remote battlefield,
          the general public cannot realise the effect that things they take for
          granted in the First World have on people in Third World countries.
          Again, focussing on the connectivity thing.

          2) How about a program that builds bridges of understanding between the
          many cultures on the planet?

          The Australian Government recently apologised, at long last, to its
          First People. Canada has just followed suit. Warriors of an unknown
          tribe in the remote jungle of South America shake their spears at
          helicopters as we sip our café au laits.

          3) What about a show that engenders a deeper understanding of our place
          in the universe - based on the latest scientific understanding - and
          relates this to our everyday lives in a meaningful way?

          As a mere spectator, I would argue that the AMNH has already achieved
          this (?).

          4) What about deeply beautiful art and cultural experiences that weave
          stories around the latest scientific visualizations of the universe -
          SciArt, if you will?

          This is the New Frontier! We live in the Golden Age of Science, and it
          just so happens that, at the same time, global culture has never been
          more dependent on the image. It is not the fault of the scientists if
          artists fail to rise to the glorious challenge of the dome.

          > Now is the time to set the standard for excellence in fulldome programming
          > and differentiate it from other genres by assuring that it is fact-based,
          > meaningful and transformative - and, at the same time, highly entertaining.

          Just a small final plea for one more category, can we PLEEEZE have music based
          as well?

          > P.S. - Spherical is also establishing a circuit for the
          > touring of performing artists and distribution of related merchandise to
          > dome theaters worldwide. If you are working on a project that might be a
          > good fit and need help, do let us know.

          I'll be in touch.
        • RoseRose
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 13, 2008
            love that quote of watts. on to poetry and pleasure. the weekend's here!
            time to put theory to the test. Porlocks and Pruefrocks, on alert!

            rr

            --
            Shermer's Last Law:
            "Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 13, 2008
              --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Lantz" <ed@...> wrote:

              > 4) What about deeply beautiful art and cultural experiences that weave
              > stories around the latest scientific visualizations of the universe -
              > SciArt, if you will?

              Ed - SciArt - I like that.

              Question: now how do we get people away from their big (and getting
              bigger) HD televisions and into the domes?

              Sharon
              Ward Beecher, Youngstown
            • rycv3701
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 15, 2008
                Thank you Sharon.
                I wondered when and if somebody would bring us back to realities !
                Charles.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 15, 2008
                  Sharon,

                  Artist, theorist, and educator Roy Ascott has been in the SciArt biz
                  for many years. His book, The Telematic Embrace covers that
                  waterfront from the 70's on.

                  I suppose, regarding the home market, domes will come when there is a
                  projector system and dome-device-screen in the $ range of the current
                  "home theater." I design them on an almost continual basis in my
                  head. I have a float version (think John Lilly, or put it over the
                  pool); a LazyBoy version with retractable computer controls; the
                  pasha's palace version (might be the pleasure dome, full of cushions
                  or lined with a foot thick memory foam) ...... I see the evolution
                  of the market to be similar to that of computers. First we had
                  mainframes and used them for, well, defense among other things. Think
                  Turing, von Neumann foward into IBM and the corporate computer. Then
                  the mini--the DEC with the 20,000 per year service contract, mid-80's.
                  Of course, the personal computer was well underway, and has changed
                  our lives.

                  The Sci-artists/educators (like composer Pauline Oliveros) have been
                  using telematics to perform with groups in multiple cities for
                  forever, and to teach, using the largest most immersive projection
                  systems they could steal time on. But Sci-artists begin with
                  one-offs, Rube Goldberg installation, demo.

                  I think we a waiting for the lower cost projector to meet the flexible
                  designs for projection surface, and the market. The gamer market is
                  shifting methinks as girls get geekier and nerdettes break through.
                  And first person shooters would no doubt be grrrrrrreat! in a
                  homedome, enemies on all sides, and adrenaline maxed out. But oh, the
                  chill possibilities as well. I like McConville's quoting Bucky--don't
                  waste effort protesting the bad ideas--put the new model out. What
                  the dome can be. It's a new critter trying to adapt, find a niche in
                  the media (hence consciousness) ecology. There couldn't be a better
                  time. I want my iChat AV in the homedome for impromptu meetings,
                  social and political organizing, research, and parties, and it better
                  not break up as much as it now does.

                  10 years ago I wanted to control a program I was designing (LiveGlide,
                  3D forms of a visual language moving in three space) with gesture.
                  SciArtists were building their own one-offs. It took ten years to get
                  the Wii, cheap, reliable, sensitive, and an afternoon's programming to
                  hook it to LiveGlide. (First performance at Roulette in NY on the
                  21st http://roulette.org/events/2008_06.html).

                  So mass market finally catches up to the desires of SciArtists.

                  Enough rant. I will have my dome one day.

                  RoseRose under the stars
                  your friendly alien SciArtist and Xenolinguist

                  mazerunner.wordpress.com

                  On 6/13/08, sharon.shanks <slshanks@...> wrote:
                  > Question: now how do we get people away from their big (and getting
                  > bigger) HD televisions and into the domes?

                  --
                  Shermer's Last Law:
                  "Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is
                  indistinguishable from God."
                • Ed Lantz
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 15, 2008
                    >I wondered when and if somebody would bring us back to realities !
                    >Charles.

                    >In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "sharon.shanks" <slshanks@...> wrote:

                    >> Question: now how do we get people away from their big (and getting
                    >> bigger) HD televisions and into the domes?

                    Some suggestions for public theaters:

                    1) Provide compelling, culturally relevant experiences that strike a
                    deep chord.

                    2) Let people know about these awesome experiences and tell them where
                    to find you.

                    3) Stop playing it safe. Science is full of controversy. Don't insult
                    the public by denying this.

                    4) Imagination and even speculation are at the cutting edge of science
                    (just don't pass off speculation as fact or bona-fide theory).

                    5) Use the full affective power of the dome - a cinema or home theater
                    cannot compete with full immersion.

                    6) Partner with brand name artists, musicians, TV series, etc.

                    7) Never forget that this is, to an extent, show business. Use skilled
                    writers, art directors, composers and good showmanship when dealing with the
                    public.

                  • Ed Lantz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 15, 2008
                      Camaraderie writes (snipped):

                      >The stereotypic thrills and spills of Hollywood action films don¹t
                      >translate well in the dome, because of the cutting rate.

                      Don’t underestimate producer’s abilities to totally ignore everything you
                      think is sacred in a dome, and the public’s ability to consume the resulting
                      shows. I almost became ill when I saw Fantasia in an IMAX theater. It was
                      never intended to be screened in such an immersive format - the action was
                      too fast on the big screen – yet it grossed $52 million in IMAX theaters.
                      Likewise, flat-screen IMAX films are routinely exhibited in IMAX Dome
                      theaters without any attempt to spherically correct the films. I recall
                      seeing a racing film in an IMAX Dome theater – the horizon was on the zenith
                      and we were driving upwards. No one complained.

                      >> ... we also need a better understanding of why Hollywood movies, video
                      >> games, and virtual worlds are so seductively popular.

                      >ADD syndrome and the sort of media you are referring to would seem to
                      >have a lot in common. I insist that it is the rectangular geometry of
                      >the frame that allows the random segmentation of continuous reality (or
                      >pseudo-reality) into "scenes". Fulldome, by way of contrast, tends to
                      >re-connect us to the entire biosphere.

                      Yes it can, if intentionally used in this manner. It can also be used as an
                      extension of the TV screen, surrounding us with hundreds of TV screens for
                      an ultra-ADD experience. If your idea of creating a continuous reality is
                      to survive, we need to show how this makes for better (selling) shows. If
                      it makes money, then others will follow this template.

                      >> We then need to using these powerful tools and technologies to
                      >> intentionally craft immersive experiences that are deeply transformative,
                      >> useful, educational, meaningful.

                      >What you are saying, Monsieur Ed, is that, in order to realise the full
                      >potential of fulldome, those within the emerging industry have an
                      >obligation to continue to Humanise its content…

                      Indeed.

                      Those quotes in my original post from the early days of TV were an attempt
                      to illustrate how television pioneers also wanted to “humanize” that new
                      medium - and in many ways, they failed to do so. Commercial interests
                      prevailed. My point is, let’s try to learn from history and create an
                      economic base for fulldome that makes money from delivering enlightening
                      programming. Then, perhaps, commercial interests will follow this
                      successful template. It worked for IMAX for many years (via the classic
                      documentary format) until IMAX promoted a method for converting Hollywood
                      programming into large-format films.

                      >This is why it's so awful to know that, somewhere, people with deadly
                      >motives are using this awesome medium to train young men and women
                      >to kill. Simulation is not (only) what fulldome digital video technology
                      >was designed for. I'm sure Brauersfeld had something better in mind for
                      >Humanity.

                      Any technology, used out of fear, can become very twisted. In a positive
                      light, simulators make for better trained soldiers who ideally will make
                      less mistakes should the legitimate need arise to use military force.

                      > >Transformed individuals will lead to a transformed world.

                      >I had one of those transformative experiences here in the Brisbane
                      >Planetarium when I saw the AMNH's "Passport". It literally changed my
                      >whole concept of Space / the Universe in a few minutes. Came away
                      >thinking everyone should see this film! It truly creates a new
                      >perception in your head and you can feel the dots connecting inside
                      >yourself. But, after a while, due to lack of reinforcement, the new
                      >perception is gradually overwhelmed by old perceptions.

                      Great that you were touched in this way. Carter, Ryan and the gang should
                      be proud!

                      You bring up a common issue with attempts to transform – that is, the
                      reversion to old habits and modes of seeing after an initial powerful
                      transformative experience. Someone recently accused me of promoting
                      “self-help” modalities in planetarium programming. It’s true that most
                      “transformative” modalities are currently found in self-help, rehab, forum
                      workshops, etc. Alcoholics Anonymous (al-anon), for instance, is a 12-step
                      process for self-transformation. I’m suggesting that we make a science out
                      of transformation and apply these powerful tools to everyday education and
                      entertainment in delightful, fun and non-preaching ways.

                      >>Hollywood programming uses time-tested tools to (willingly) commandeer
                      >>our nervous systems and take us on an emotional ride.

                      >Here is my gauntlet. What you have just said also applies to voices I
                      >have heard in the fulldome community. That is that fulldome films must
                      >take the spectator on an emotional "ride". This is the point at which
                      >you, as a community, can best distinguish yourselves from OmniMax. How,
                      >exactly, does fulldome do it differently? Nothing wrong with an
                      >emotional ride ­ hell, that¹s what film makers do best ­ but, surely,
                      >the fulldome ride is something that the inventors of Imax could never
                      >have contemplated nor dream of emulating. That is, Totalities. That's
                      >what you guys do best. You put Humpty back together again, for all the
                      >rest of us. God bless you all.

                      Interesting perspective. I’m not sure that this “holistic” cinematic
                      language, as you suggest, cannot be replicated in a flat-screen theater, but
                      perhaps a dome is ideally suited to making this particular language a more
                      compelling experience. As I pointed out earlier, it is not the only way to
                      produce fulldome programming…

                      Regarding the emotional roller coaster, I also believe that there are brain
                      states that can be induced that are not necessarily “emotional” and cannot
                      always be accessed through story alone. I’m not sure what to call these
                      states, but it is the general realm of experiencing awe, mystery,
                      connectedness, unity, love, beauty, numinous, etc. I think the dome is a
                      better delivery system for these alternate states. I would love to drag an
                      fMRI imager into a dome some day to confirm these intuitive observations.

                      >>3) What about a show that engenders a deeper understanding of our place
                      >>in the universe - based on the latest scientific understanding - and
                      >>relates this to our everyday lives in a meaningful way?

                      >As a mere spectator, I would argue that the AMNH has already achieved
                      >this (?).

                      Agreed, this “place in the cosmos” genre is the most common theme in
                      fulldome, and AMNH is creating premier programming of this sort.

                      I do feel that there is more room to explore our “place in the cosmos,”
                      however, particularly as it relates to the MEANING of all our scientific
                      knowledge and the BIG questions of life, such as “where did we come from?,”
                      “where are we going?,” “why am I here” and such. Of course, it is
                      stretching the bounds of science by trying to provide meaning to such
                      questions. This is more in the realm of storytellers, religions, myths, and
                      such. Still, it is our attempt to answer such questions that creates our
                      personal mythos (world view), and our personal mythos drives our personal
                      and collective behavior and ultimately determines our quality of life, so it
                      is not wrong to provide an environment for exploring these deeper questions.

                      Classrooms provide an appropriate environment for teaching the basic facts
                      of science. Planetariums provide an appropriate environment for exploring
                      the deeper meaning of these facts. A “world view” is not something that can
                      be taught matter-of-factly. Each must discover their personal “place” in
                      the universe and personal “mythos” or meaning. Seeing the “big picture” of
                      the universe - according to our most up-to-date scientific data - in an
                      environment that allows a degree of self-contemplation creates an ideal
                      environment for such realizations. A continuous narrative soundtrack that
                      attempts to interpret and explain every visual that the visitor sees only
                      interferes with this deeper, more contemplative mode of thinking and
                      reasoning that can result in a transformative realization, in my opinion.

                      Again, I’d love to see more research on this topic.

                      >> Now is the time to set the standard for excellence in fulldome
                      >> programming and differentiate it from other genres by assuring
                      >> that it is fact-based, meaningful and transformative - and, at the
                      >> same time, highly entertaining.

                      >Just a small final plea for one more category, can we PLEEEZE have music
                      >based as well?

                      You bet.

                      I’ve long promoted visual music in domes, although fine art VM is often
                      avant garde and a bit fringe for the average audience. Harmony Channel has
                      been giving out Domie awards for best Mood Elevating Visual Music at
                      DomeFest. We figure that music that invokes positive moods will ultimately
                      be more entertaining. In the end, however, MTV-style music videos and
                      immersive concerts will likely rule…

                    • Dave Pentecost
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 16, 2008
                        As a veteran of 25 years of television (starting at PBS and going to
                        all the other networks including a Murrow hungover CBS), I appreciate
                        Ed's background and perspective. There is a great opportunity to take
                        chances and innovate in fulldome now, and to avoid the consequences of
                        another of my favorite early TV quotes, this one from Fred Friendly:

                        "Imitation is the sincerest form of television."

                        What Friendly noted is even more evident today: a channel with its own
                        identity will often jump on a currently popular program style (reality
                        TV, let's-blow-things-up, home-makeover) and end up diluting their
                        brand, becoming indistinguishable from the competition.

                        I look forward to working in our own fulldome production center (some
                        2 years from now, after we build the Center for Community dome in the
                        Lower East Side of Manhattan) and tackling some of these challenges.
                        Following up on the quote above, I hope that we see the development of
                        many schools, genres, and local strains of production. The drive to
                        create shows that can be sold to the widest possible audience can lead
                        to what we see in mass media now. Affordable narrowcasting may be a
                        better way to go.

                        Let a thousand dome flowers bloom!

                        See you at Domefest.

                        Hemispherically
                        Dave

                        -
                        The Daily Glyph http://www.gomaya.com/glyph
                        Center for Community http://www.girlsclub.org
                        Note: New Cell 646 704 2021
                      • Jonathan Wolfe
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 16, 2008
                          Thanks for all the great discussion on fulfilling the great potential
                          of this medium!

                          I have to share that the fulldome fractal shows we've been doing here
                          in New Mexico have been incredibly popular, and just growing ever more
                          so. And the particular modality we're using - Fractals - reaches
                          exactly the states of consciousness Ed was referring to, illustrating
                          the connectedness of complex systems, from the smallest to the largest
                          in nature, and even bigger. Transcendence. Fractals are all about
                          *awe*, and the fact that we sell out every single one of our First
                          Friday Fractals shows (69 in a row now!) is a direct result of the
                          power of this sensation. You think the Universe is big? Try zooming
                          into the Mandelbrot Set! Staring straight into the Infinite is a
                          powerful experience.

                          The cool thing is, while our shows are extremely entertaining,
                          they're also highly educational. Can you imagine people paying good
                          money on a Friday night to come learn about algebra?! But they do:)
                          It's because fractals make math beautiful, and also relate it to the
                          patterns in nature we're all familiar with.

                          The last thing I want to add is that the visual music aspect of what
                          we do is incredibly powerful too. I work with accomplished,
                          successful musicians to create original choreographed arrangements (in
                          5.1 Surround.) The music rocks, the visuals rock, and together they
                          fuse to form an exciting new medium that enthralls people. So much so
                          that we've just added a new late-night show to our lineup, called
                          "Fractals Rock!" which I'm really excited about. These shows will be
                          more entertainment-oriented, but we'll still manage to sneak in a good
                          helping of education, because people are naturally curious how these
                          infinitely dazzling patterns work and what they mean!

                          I always feel a bit like a mathematical rockstar when I do my live
                          narration in the dome, but this past month we hit a new milestone. I
                          heard that at least one person in the audience bought a scalped ticket
                          for $20! Now that's funny...

                          I can't get away for the whole IPS conference, but I will be there
                          for the last day at the Fulldome Summit and Domefest, and I look
                          forward to seeing a bunch of you there. I'll bring some fractal DVDs
                          with me, so try to find me if you'd like to see a glimpse of what I'm
                          talking about!

                          -Jonathan Wolfe, Ph.D.
                          Executive Director
                          http://www.FractalFoundation.org
                          Coming Friday July 4th, "Fractals Rock!"
                          Fractals are SMART: Science, Math & Art!