Re: And you thought 4k was nice...

  • Ed Lantz
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2008
      > JVC's just upped the ante with a 35 Mp monstrosity:

      > http://tinyurl.com/42e5k3

      Thanks for this, Mike. I knew they were playing with this but was surprised
      to see it released! So often these developments never make it out of the
      lab.

      The problem with JVC's smaller LCoS pixels is that the light density is
      limited due to thermal factors. Their 4kx2.5k projector has an awesome
      15,000:1 dynamic range, but only 3,000 lumens (Barco has a 5000 lumen
      version). A single fulldome projector in a larger dome wants 20,000+
      lumens. There are other issues with making the pixels larger (liquid crystal
      uniformity, yields, etc.).

      It is just a matter of time, however. Imagine two of these on a hemisphere!

      ed