Playing Movies on a MediaGlobe

  • Douglas Gene Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
      I'm a college student trying to learn to program the school's
      MediaGlobe and am having a few troubles. How do I get it to play
      movies? I have tried several sets of code and several video formats.
      I guess to start: what media formates can the MediaGlobe play?
    • Eric Knisley
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
        Do you have the tech specs? I'm not familiar with the system--does it
        use its own proprietary software, is it multiple projectors etc? Is
        there some place on the 'net that lists the system spec? That would
        help in working out the problem. Thanks,

        Eric Knisley

        "Douglas Gene Moore" wrote:

        > I'm a college student trying to learn to program the school's
        > MediaGlobe and am having a few troubles. How do I get it to play
        > movies? I have tried several sets of code and several video formats.
        > I guess to start: what media formates can the MediaGlobe play?
      • Philip Groce
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
          Douglas:

          You should have a manual with your Mediaglobe that explains
          everything you might want to know about its operation, including
          how to load/play movies. To help you further, you need to identify
          your institution or location as well as what model of Mediaglobe
          you are attempting to use. Please provide me with your direct
          email and phone number. Do not use this forum.

          Instead, please contact me directly at:

          Philip Groce
          AVI/ Konica Minolta Planetariums
          619 Orange Street
          Macon, GA 31201
          Voice: 478-750-7870
          Fax: 478-750-7826
          cell: 478-719-0661
          email work: hps4075@...
          email home: groce@...

          Much Thanks,

          Phil

          On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:37 AM, Douglas Gene Moore wrote:

          > I'm a college student trying to learn to program the school's
          > MediaGlobe and am having a few troubles. How do I get it to play
          > movies? I have tried several sets of code and several video formats.
          > I guess to start: what media formates can the MediaGlobe play?

          Philip Groce
          AVI/ Konica Minolta Planetariums
          619 Orange Street
          Macon, GA 31201
          Voice: 478-750-7870
          Fax: 478-750-7826
          cell: 478-719-0661
          email work: hps4075@...
          email home: groce@...
        • Ron Proctor
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
            Hi,

            If it's an MG-I system, you can download our disc template.

            weber.edu/planetarium/productionshare/files.html

            If you're on a MG-II system, you'll need to do some Java programming. The
            Mediaglobe Users Group has more information. You should join!

            http://groups.google.com/group/mgusers

            Good luck.

            --
            Ron Proctor
            Production Director

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
              I forgot to answer the other part of your question...video formats:

              The MG-I can play MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and some AVI video (depending on the
              codec). Your best bet will be MPEG-2 at 1024x1024, variable data rate
              averaging 9000 kb/s, with an upper limit of about 12,000 kb/s.

            • Jason Talley
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
                Hello Douglas,

                The MediaGlobe can play AVI, MPEG1, and MPEG2 video formats. Of course,
                MPEG2 is generally used because of its smaller size. As probably you know,
                getting the the video format right can be just the tip of the ice berg. But
                do not be discouraged. Learning to program on a new system is never easy at
                first, but with a little help, you will get the hang of it.

                Feel free to send your other questions directly to my email address
                talleyhopro@... (no need to clutter up the fulldome mailing list).
                You can also join the MEDIAGLOBE User Group on Google Groups. There you
                will find plenty of users that will be willing to help you in your MG
                endeavors.

                Tallyho!
                ~Jason