Z-Dome

  • Ka Chun Yu
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
      Has anyone seen or know anything about this Z-Dome?

      --kachun

      Dr. Ka Chun Yu / Curator of Space Science
      Denver Museum of Nature & Science
      2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80205
      P: 303-370-6394 / F: 303-331-6492
      E: kcyu@...
      W: https://scientists.dmns.org/sites/kachunyu/

      News from this week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2008 in San
      Francisco, from IGN
      http://gear.ign.com/articles/854/854112p1.html

      GDC 2008: EuroTouch Z-Dome

      180-degree display technology.

      by Gerry Block

      February 21, 2008 - GDC 2008 is rife with impressive displays.
      Triple-monitor setups abound, as do giant single LCDs. None, however,
      offer 180-degrees of wrap-around immersion, other than Z-Dome. The
      innovative display technology, developed by EuroTouch Interactive,
      makes use of rear-projection to spread a display over a massive space
      that wraps around the player, brining a semi-virtual-reality
      experience out of the headset and into the game room.

      Z-Dome's product relies upon rear-projection from standard consumer
      projectors, in this case the excellent Panasonic PT-AX200U. When
      projected upon the rear side of the Z-Dome, the image translates
      brightly to the viewing side via proprietary coatings applied to the
      dome. The wrap-around display effect created is both immersive and
      game-able, particularly in FPS titles like CoD4.

      Z-Dome has a strong history of supplying technology to the military
      and business applications, and today announced plans to release a
      consumer version of the technology. According to company
      representatives, by the end of 2008, 180-degree Z-Dome products will
      launch in the consumer space, packaged with a projector, for less than
      $5,000.

      Follow-on products will expand the theme. 270-degree Z-Dome prototypes
      exist for fully-immersive experiences. Stereoscopic 3D is also
      possible via multiple projectors, and the 3D effect made possible by
      the curved Z-Dome creates a deeper depth of field than flat panel
      displays.

      The effect of the Z-Dome is impressive in person, and we're stoked
      consumers will eventually have access to the technology. Stay tuned
      for more news from Z-Dome as the product nears consumer release.
    • Eric Knisley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
        The Z-dome is a rear-projected system using a single projector:
        http://www.mahalo.com/Z-Dome

        I have not seen this dome, but I assume that with a single
        projector the image would fall off quite a bit towards the edges.

        --ek

        --
        Eric Knisley
        Visualization Researcher

        919-843-8142
      • Alejandro Diaz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2008
          I was just there and briefly saw it. Cool setup, but unfortunately
          most games don't do correct projection, including the one they were
          demoing, so the image is warped.

          Alejandro Diaz
          Senior Software Engineer
          Secret Level/SEGA