Re: real shooting update

  • Jendra Jarnagin
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Dietmar said:

      At the moment we thinking about a construction like you found on that
      webside
      http://www.vantagefilm.com/
      Sorry I could not set the link (the links running in an Window) to the
      product so you must look to thier products. They develop a reducer to
      use Hawk primes for a 35mm film.

      Has anyone used this reducer to capture the full circle on 35mm sized
      sensor motion picture cameras?
      Is .7X the correct math for this?

      Are there any other relay lenses available for this purpose? That
      is, to take a fisheye lens made for 35mm motion picture use (such as
      the Nikkor converted to PL mount) and used a relay lens to get the
      full image dot, either on 35mm motion picture film or the equivalent
      sensor size for digital cinema cameras (RED, Genesis, D20, Dalsa)

      Thanks,
      Jendra Jarnagin, Director of Photography
      www.floatingcamera.com
    • Tom Kwasnitschka
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
        ### 6mm fisheye tested on RED ###

        Yesterday we had a very successful test of a number of 6mm lenses in
        connection with RED #144. The tests were done as a preparation to a
        major fulldome filming project of the Hamburg Planetarium
        (www.planetarium-hamburg.de). The capture equipment was provided by the
        Hamburg branch of Ludwig Kameraverleih (http://ludwigkameraverleih.de)
        and allsky.de (www.allsky.de).

        We tested the Vantage 6mm fisheye which only delivers a field of view of
        about 120° on the RED. Apart from that, image quality is very
        acceptable.

        In addition, allsky.de provided a 6mm f5.6 lens together with a custom
        developed linear optical relay of about 1.7 which allows the entire 220°
        FoV to be used on the RED sensor: The full circle is inscribed. The
        image is sharp and true to the resolution of the chip, especially at
        small apertures. In contrast to the bigger f2.8 lenses, this solution
        reduces the weight of the camera rig to approximately 50%.

        We will present more quantitative results of our work in a few weeks.
        Those who want to check out the first (preliminary!!) shots may download
        them at
        http://ftp.allsky.de/samples/RED
        or
        http://ftp.planetarium-hamburg.de/RED/C003_C007_080204_0444.zip
        http://ftp.planetarium-hamburg.de/RED/C003_C011_080204_2201_crop.zip

        Cheers!
        Tim F. Horn Tom Kwasnitschka
        Planetarium Hamburg allsky.de

        --
        Tom Kwasnitschka
        executive associate
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
          Tom Kwasnitschka writes: ### 6mm fisheye tested on RED ###

          Wow, Tom - thanks a million for sharing your test results!

          It would be great to publish your results at IPS 2008 (We're having a
          Fulldome Summit on July 3rd), and perhaps in the IPS Planetarian. That goes
          for anyone doing original work like this. The fulldome medium is really
          hurting for a live-action digital camera solution.

          Ed

          Ed Lantz
          Visual Bandwidth, Inc.
          ed@...
          www.visualbandwidth.com

          Exploring the Art of Science and the Science of Awe.
        • Tom Kwasnitschka
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2008
            Thanks, Ed!

            The image may be nice but it is not sharp enough yet. We will repeat the
            testing in a few weeks.

            As for the further publication, Tim and I will present this work at the
            Immersive Cinema Conference in Plymouth. I would be glad to do so at
            IPS, too, and we will see whether we get together enough results for an
            article in the June Planetarian.

            We keep you posted!

            Tom

            --
            Tom Kwasnitschka
            executive associate
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2008
              Hello,

              And there is more content from the Hamburg Test Facility... Thanks to allsky.de and RED we´re able to push the fulldome media in this cooperation; Our next productions will make use of fulldome film more than ever. So far we´ve used timelapse for many different applications; now it´s time to play with the new challenges... As a starter for more ... we will present the first fulldome kiss by people who actually are in love with each other ... http://ftp.planetarium-hamburg.de/RED/kiss.mov
              So, what´s next? Hamburg Planetarium was appointed to be the "Climate Change Information Center" for Northern Germany - Therefore we´re in the planning phase of a new show production; Ready for distribution early 2009...

              Tim

              --
              Tim Florian Horn
              Produktionsleiter | Head of Show Production

              Planetarium Hamburg
              Hindenburgstr. 1b | 22303 Hamburg | Germany
              phone:  +49 (40) 4288652-80
              fax:    +49 (40) 4288652-29
              mobile: +49 (173) 6161120
              http://www.planetarium-hamburg.de

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
                Thanks, Ed!

                The image may be nice but it is not sharp enough yet. We will repeat the
                testing in a few weeks.

                As for the further publication, Tim and I will present this work at the
                Immersive Cinema Conference in Plymouth. I would be glad to do so at
                IPS, too, and we will see whether we get together enough results for an
                article in the June Planetarian.

                We keep you posted!

                Tom

                --