Re: DNA Survey

  • G Jirh
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2007
      Thank You Tom. Do you know where Maya can be downloaded either as a student version or purchased.

      Many thanks again.

      Tom Casey <tom@...> wrote:

      I would suggest you check out the other Autodesk software, Maya,
      also. There are tools available that will allow you to directly
      import and build molecular models directly from the 3D data at the
      online Protein Data Bank (www.rcsb.org/pdb/). There was an article
      in the Winter 2004 Highend magazine (Gnomon School Publication)
      describing the entire process and included the plugin and scripts
      (www.highend3d.com).

      You download the molecular data from the online site and import into
      Maya to easily create all kinds of complex molecular structures that
      would be a challenge otherwise.

      Tom
    • Tom Casey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
        You can download a "personal learning" version at the Autodesk site...

        http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7635018

        [TinyURL is http://tinyurl.com/jpjqz --Moderator]

        ... a complete version to try, just doesn't allow rendering without a
        watermark. There is a "how to buy" link there for purchasing the
        full package, the educational price is quite inexpensive.

        On Dec 31, 2007, at 8:11 PM, G Jirh wrote:

        Thank You Tom. Do you know where Maya can be downloaded either as a
        student version or purchased.

        Many thanks again.

        H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

        Tom Casey
        President & Creative Director

        100 First Avenue - Suite 450
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        412-391-8200
        mailto:tom@...
        http://www.homerunpictures.com
      • Paul Bourke
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
          > I am studying Multimedia Technology Bsc and am doing a final year
          > project in developing biology content for full dome planetaria. In order
          > for me to understand how to go about creating educational content for
          > the first time for a planetarium I am planning to create content
          > relating to human DNA to education the young and elderly.

          Drew Berry, a scientific visualisation animator here in Australia
          (Melbourne) has done some exciting fulldome animations of DNA. If you
          are interested drop me an email and I'll do the introductions.
          (paul.bourke@...). He had a piece in the 2006 ASTC program called
          "Secrets of Life".

          http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/astc2006/program.pdf

          [TinyURL is http://tinyurl.com/2ojj8l --Moderator]