Re: CRT Longevity

  • J. Scott Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
      Ed Lantz wrote:

      [much deleted for brevity]

      > it is clear that single-lens systems will dominate in the
      > future. Resolutions will double in the next couple years, thereby
      > matching CRT resolutions, and brightness will increase.
      > Single-lens systems are low-maintenance, allowing theaters
      > to focus resources on show production rather than projector
      > tweaking.

      > But for now, the CRT still offers the ultimate in black levels and
      > high resolution. I expect they will be around for some time yet.

      I didn't have the opportunity to go to ISP (someone had to stay home
      to tweak our projectors :-)). I do find these last paragraphs begging
      the question:

      Will those single lens systems produce the black level that CRTs
      do today?

      Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
      in order to be flashy?

      --
      J. Scott Miller, Program Coordinator
      Scott.Miller@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
        "J. Scott Miller" <Scott.Miller@...> wrote:
        >Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
        >in order to be flashy?

        Well, if the ultra-conservatives like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hackbarth have their way, there won't be any darks skies left in the realworld to compare it to by they time we have to switch over. So, who'll know?

        --
        Laurent Pellerin
        Nightsight1@...

        Founder/Moderator, Southern Nights Astronomical League of Florida

        Founder/Moderator, Southern Night-Sky Restoration Project
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernNightSkyRestorationProject/

        Chairman, Dark Sky Advisory Committee
        Central Florida Astronomical Society
        darksky@...