single and multiple projection video, IPS

  • Don Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
      Ed Lantz wrote:
      > -snip- it is clear that single-lens systems will dominate in the
      > future. Resolutions will double in the next couple years, thereby
      > matching CRT resolutions, and brightness will increase.
      > Single-lens systems are low-maintenance, allowing theaters
      > to focus resources on show production rather than projector
      > tweaking.

      It may well be that single projectors will replace multiple ones, however I
      will miss having the center seats available. I hope any center projector
      will be designed to be as small and out of sight as possible. When real
      time single controller interactive 'rides' are done in such a theater the
      person at the controls should be as close to the center of the dome as
      possible to provide the best visual feedback. A generously tilted dome
      would be best for any facility planning on a significent flight simulator
      style interactive capability.

      >But for now, the CRT still offers the ultimate in black levels and high
      >resolution. I expect they will be around for some time yet.

      I hope CRT projectors have a long career ahead of them, for reasons
      outlined above as well as their visual quality. When single projections
      surpass the quality of multiple projection systems that will drive more
      nails in the coffin of full dome film projection, which has only barely
      clung to life over the years.

      It will be interesting to hear feedback on the state of all dome video as
      revealed at IPS.

      Don Davis
    • J. Scott Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
        Ed Lantz wrote:

        [much deleted for brevity]

        > it is clear that single-lens systems will dominate in the
        > future. Resolutions will double in the next couple years, thereby
        > matching CRT resolutions, and brightness will increase.
        > Single-lens systems are low-maintenance, allowing theaters
        > to focus resources on show production rather than projector
        > tweaking.

        > But for now, the CRT still offers the ultimate in black levels and
        > high resolution. I expect they will be around for some time yet.

        I didn't have the opportunity to go to ISP (someone had to stay home
        to tweak our projectors :-)). I do find these last paragraphs begging
        the question:

        Will those single lens systems produce the black level that CRTs
        do today?

        Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
        in order to be flashy?

        --
        J. Scott Miller, Program Coordinator
        Scott.Miller@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2002
          "J. Scott Miller" <Scott.Miller@...> wrote:
          >Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
          >in order to be flashy?

          Well, if the ultra-conservatives like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hackbarth have their way, there won't be any darks skies left in the realworld to compare it to by they time we have to switch over. So, who'll know?

          --
          Laurent Pellerin
          Nightsight1@...

          Founder/Moderator, Southern Nights Astronomical League of Florida

          Founder/Moderator, Southern Night-Sky Restoration Project
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernNightSkyRestorationProject/

          Chairman, Dark Sky Advisory Committee
          Central Florida Astronomical Society
          darksky@...