Re: CRT Longevity

  • Jack Dunn
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6 6:00 PM
      Ed Lantz wrote:

      > Laurent Pellerin writes:
      > > I have heard some rumors that some of the big CRT manufacturers
      > > are thinking of phasing out CRTs in favor of the smaller, brighter,
      > > LCDs that are the much better sellers for companies and educational
      > > facilities. Of course, I've been hearing this about slide projectors
      > > for years too. But, considering some new planetaria are being
      > > constructed without dedicated star projectors, I'm wondering if
      > > anyone has considered what will happen if CRTs dissappear, and
      > > parts for them a few years after? And of course this will affect many,
      > > if not most, planetaria that have even one CRT.

      > Currently there are two manufacturers of CRT projectors viable for
      > dome use:
      > Barco (www.barco.com) and VDC(www.vdcdisplaysystems.com).
      > Barco is firmly commited to maintaining the CRT business for at least
      > another few years.
      > The simulator market is currently driving these CRT sales.

      > CRT projector longevity is obviously a concern for long-term planning.

      Lauren asked the $64 question, how long will our CRTs hold out?
      And Ed has given a clue that they will be around, but ultimately must
      be replaced. The Spitz demo at IPS was impressive from the standpoint
      that we saw what the future should be - everything out of one projector.
      This idea has so many advantages it's time will come. Savings in time
      and expense simply are inevitable.

      Thanks to Ed and his crew for hitting the cutting edge running on this
      one and going to special lengths to show it to us. I'm sure there will be
      further developments. The CRTs are simply too cranky and hard
      to match and keep up, while it sure is simpler to create material if you
      can do it without worrying about slicing and dicing. The small 1024
      (essentially) systems show the way on this.

      Their resolution is less, but the fact that everyone is rushing to put out
      their own version shows what a good idea it is (and especially since
      there are a lot more small planetaria out there than big ones).

      Yes, slide projectors and CRTs will go away. All of the business
      community is moving to Power Point and even the schools are headed
      that way. The planetarium market won't sustain Kodak on this or any
      other front. They (and the CRTs) won't disappear immediately. And
      there are problems to be solved. But the day will come when we will
      look upon them as quaint as open-reel tape decks. (Ok, so somebody
      out there still using open reel will probably e-mail me - so how about
      as quaint as eight-track players?)(g)

      Clear DARK Skies,
      --
      Jack Dunn
      Still Coherent After All These Years
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6 6:25 PM
        Ed Lantz wrote:
        > -snip- it is clear that single-lens systems will dominate in the
        > future. Resolutions will double in the next couple years, thereby
        > matching CRT resolutions, and brightness will increase.
        > Single-lens systems are low-maintenance, allowing theaters
        > to focus resources on show production rather than projector
        > tweaking.

        It may well be that single projectors will replace multiple ones, however I
        will miss having the center seats available. I hope any center projector
        will be designed to be as small and out of sight as possible. When real
        time single controller interactive 'rides' are done in such a theater the
        person at the controls should be as close to the center of the dome as
        possible to provide the best visual feedback. A generously tilted dome
        would be best for any facility planning on a significent flight simulator
        style interactive capability.

        >But for now, the CRT still offers the ultimate in black levels and high
        >resolution. I expect they will be around for some time yet.

        I hope CRT projectors have a long career ahead of them, for reasons
        outlined above as well as their visual quality. When single projections
        surpass the quality of multiple projection systems that will drive more
        nails in the coffin of full dome film projection, which has only barely
        clung to life over the years.

        It will be interesting to hear feedback on the state of all dome video as
        revealed at IPS.

        Don Davis
      • J. Scott Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7 5:36 AM
          Ed Lantz wrote:

          [much deleted for brevity]

          > it is clear that single-lens systems will dominate in the
          > future. Resolutions will double in the next couple years, thereby
          > matching CRT resolutions, and brightness will increase.
          > Single-lens systems are low-maintenance, allowing theaters
          > to focus resources on show production rather than projector
          > tweaking.

          > But for now, the CRT still offers the ultimate in black levels and
          > high resolution. I expect they will be around for some time yet.

          I didn't have the opportunity to go to ISP (someone had to stay home
          to tweak our projectors :-)). I do find these last paragraphs begging
          the question:

          Will those single lens systems produce the black level that CRTs
          do today?

          Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
          in order to be flashy?

          --
          J. Scott Miller, Program Coordinator
          Scott.Miller@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7 8:53 AM
            "J. Scott Miller" <Scott.Miller@...> wrote:
            >Resolution may come, but are we giving up black skies for dark gray
            >in order to be flashy?

            Well, if the ultra-conservatives like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hackbarth have their way, there won't be any darks skies left in the realworld to compare it to by they time we have to switch over. So, who'll know?

            --
            Laurent Pellerin
            Nightsight1@...

            Founder/Moderator, Southern Nights Astronomical League of Florida

            Founder/Moderator, Southern Night-Sky Restoration Project
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernNightSkyRestorationProject/

            Chairman, Dark Sky Advisory Committee
            Central Florida Astronomical Society
            darksky@...