newbie questions

  • mikefilmguy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hello list

      New member with 10+ years of experience in the flat video world using
      After Effects, among other things. I teach video at local universities,
      and recently got some academic grant money to explore full dome video
      after seeing a show at the Fels Planetarium in Phialdelphia and being
      really impressed with the fully immersive nature of the media, and the
      fact that it is such an accessible medium - IMAX needs all this special
      stuff, full dome video can (conceivably) be created by anyone with a PC.

      The biggest thing I am running into is proofing my media - I know that
      Loch Ness has this little indoor dome set up -

      <<http://www.lochnessproductions.com/fulldome/larrydome.html>>

      which is a great idea and quite cost-effective and I am thinking of
      doing something similar. I have a video projector - can I just get an
      appropriate fish-eye lens and get something going ?

      How do other people deal with this problem ?

      Thanks

      Michael O'Reilly
    • Ron Proctor
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
        Make yourself a cheap fulldome monitor... You can do this with any large
        (~1 meter) hemisphere shell (giant security mirrors work well) and a video
        projector. No fisheye lens necessary! (The fisheye lens is really just
        there to project your video super-wide. If you're shooting into a smaller
        dome, you don't need the fisheye.)

        Have a look at this PDF for the overall design:
        http://truejapanesebreakfast.com/low_budget_fulldome.pdf

        I built a small scale model that worked very well (30cm). I haven't built a
        big one yet because I happen to have a Mediaglobe and a 9m dome that I can
        use pretty much whenever I want!

        Here's a picture of a nice one by Ansible Technologies in action:
        http://ansibletech.com/images/600_High-Road-1.jpg

        --Ron
      • yves lhoumeau
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
          Yes, you can build a "home planetarium", with a small dome (1 - 3 meters)
          see my web page:

          http://astrosurf.com/telescopeamateur/planetariums/en/index.htm

          and more, but no translate: (in french, sorry)
          http://astrosurf.com/telescopeamateur/planetariums/fr/index.htm

          that's a low cost system ;) but it's work very well !
          and the projector is not modified,you can use it for another use afterwards

          and the "old" design was here, without fisheye:

          http://perso.orange.fr/yves.lhoumeau/astronomie/diffusion/animation/planetarium/planetarium2.htm

          [Or as a TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/2u82p3 --Moderator]

          what do you think about this ?
          Yves Lhoumeau
        • david mcconville
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2007
            Mike,

            Unfortunately, unlike cameras, projectors don't have lens mount
            standards so fisheye lenses must designed for specific models or lines
            for optimal image quality. The Loch Ness LarryDome uses one of our
            OmniFocus projection systems, which use off-the-shelf projectors
            mounted with a custom designed lens: http://www.elumenati.com/products/

            If you already have a projector you'd like to use, you can try Paul
            Bourke's MirrorDome approach:
            http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/domemirror/

            cheers,
            david
          • Paul Bourke
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2007
              > The biggest thing I am running into is proofing my media

              Have a look at the links listed below
              http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/exhibition/domeinstall/
              http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/papers/planetarian1/
              Using a spherical mirror to project into a dome, and other shaped surfaces.
              Please feel free to email me for specific questions on this and software solutions.
            • yves lhoumeau
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2007
                hi all,

                it's true that quality is not inevitably optimized for the fisheye, but one
                can use a diaphragm which arranges many things on the edges of field in more
                one can make an assembly without modifying the projector, and re-using the
                fisheye for the traditional photograph, in short to recover all the elements
                after test´┐Ż for very expensive step <500 $
                try it, you will surprising...

                that will not replace the excellent products of the market, it is obvious!

                Yves
              • mikefilmguy
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                  Hello list

                  thanks for all the responses - many things to think about - since this
                  whole thing seemingly will be DIY, one thing that is really helpful is
                  when responses detail where to get something referred to in the
                  response.

                  great list ! thanks again.

                  Michael