Re: Standards & the Fulldome Profession

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2002
      Ed,

      Good ideas-- perhaps there is a need for an additional organization, but
      a/some words of caution:

      All of us in the planetarium industry wear many hats, and would like to
      attend many conferences, but it often just isn't possible. Ideally, I would
      like to attend IPS, our regional conference, our DUG conference, ASTC,
      an occasional astronomy conference (AAS or DPS), and an occasional
      educational conference (NSTA). (I never do attend all of these, of
      course--wouldn't have enough time left to do my day-to-day job.)

      Some of the folks interested in industry standards on fulldome just
      won't be able to attend SIGGRAPH very often, in spite of the obvious
      connections with fulldome, and yet we'd love to work with the
      manufacturers and continue to share our ideas and any content
      we build. If a new organization is created for users and manufacturers
      of fulldome (including partial fulldome) technology, I don't know what
      percentage will be able to meet in conjunction with SIGGRAPH.
      Perhaps a connection with ASTC or a variety of regional planetarium
      conferences might get a larger participation, and if the connection
      is with ASTC you have the benefit of attracting more attention from
      those who ultimately decide whether to budget for these systems.

      Just my humble opinion--if everyone else disagrees with me, I'll
      happily shut up.

      Christine Shupla
      Planetarium Director
      Arizona Science Center
      (602) 716-2078
      shuplac@...
    • Carolyn Sumners
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2002
        Hello everyone

        As the site of the first full dome festival -- with different groups all
        presenting on the same projectors, Houston is most supportive of
        standards and agrees that IPS may have too much going on for
        a standards meeting.

        How about the first standards meeting on the weekend after the
        Western Alliance conference here in Houston: Oct. 16-19. We will
        be displaying E&S, SkySkan, and Spitz stuff on the same projectors.
        We've certainly displayed the most full dome material anywhere - and
        are now running revenue-wise above a budget I thought we could
        never make. We've also been successful mixing full-dome and slide
        programs (especially Night of the Titanic).

        Finally, we have only a 6 degree tilt and show stuff with 30 degree tilts
        all the time with no complaints. We can certainly evaluate how much
        modification is required for different tilts.

        Besides, the hotel rooms are inexpensive, the World Space Congress
        is an exciting event on top of the Western Alliance Congress, we have
        exciting speakers and the Museum has plenty of room for meeting
        space.

        For many people, it would be cheaper to extend the Western Alliance
        meeting over Saturday night than to try to piggy-back on SIGGRAPH.

        We're also thinking about having a serious Barco projector maintenance
        and alignment session if there's interest. We have the Barcos with the
        most hours of any full-dome installation (opening in Dec. 1998).
        Our stable includes five 1209s and four 809s.

        The preliminary schedule for the conference is available at the following URL:

        http://www.hmns.org/space2002/

        Since that was published, we have confirmed John Young to address
        the group about being on the Moon and going back. We also have
        the toys on Space Station with our first downlink next Tuesday, July 16
        at 11:50 CDT on NASA-TV.

        If we want a standards meeting, we can easily schedule it into the
        conference or make it a free-for-all on Saturday afternoon.

        Let me know if there's interest. The southern hospitality is already
        in place.

        Carolyn with Tony, Adam, and Jason