Re: Astronomical Point

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 9:38 AM
      I want to apologize to the Loch Ness folks for breaking my own rule
      about the fulldome mailing list: stick to the topic! And the topic
      is fulldome video, not (to be honest) astronomy. I will allow
      further posts on this thread till it dies out, but subsequent
      astronomical debates will be taken offline.

      I feel I do need to defend myself in light(ning) of a few statements.
      I'd ended my inappropriate post with:

      >>Sorry if this comes across kind of harsh, but that's what happens
      >>when they stick you in a room "visualizing science" all day. :)

      >Extremely harsh. It seems the Hayden is making a habit of dictating
      >how astronomy ought to be. (Pluto may have been before your time
      >there, Ryan, but you're apparently carrying on the tradition.)

      A planet is an essentially arbitrary definition. "Lightning" is,
      too, especially among those who claim to have found evidence for it
      on Venus. :) But my point (and I stand by it) would be that
      lightning as it is almost universally illustrated in planetarium
      visuals -- i.e., as big wonkin' bolts -- would not be seen on Venus.
      I was jumping to conclusions in suggesting that the lightning
      illustrated in the Loch Ness visuals would look like that, but I
      addressed my comments to the historical illustration of lightning in
      planetariums when I noted that theory and evidence both "should have
      kept us from putting lightning over our Venus panoramas years ago."

      And in fact, I've argued against depictions of lightning on Venus
      long before I arrived at the Rose Center. On DOME-L, as a matter of
      fact. (Hmmm. I wonder if I can find those posts...)

      >Well, maybe you can visualize this -- other sources do NOT agree.

      I think I can successfully knock those sources out of the Venusian
      ionosphere. At least in terms of lightning-bolt-style lightning.
      For those who are interested, we can continue this discussion
      offline: Carolyn Petersen has already presented counterarguments in
      a private email to me, and I'm sure we could include others on our
      discussion.

      >To end this thread on a lighter note: Ryan, in order to present the
      >definitive word about Venusian lightning discharges, we would be
      >happy to dispatch you to the surface of Venus to do some on site
      >field research for us! :-)

      If I can get the vacation time, Mark, I might take you up on that.

      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History
      79th Street & Central Park West