Tilted Domes

  • hue bumgarner-kirby
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2002
      I'd like to introduce myself... I am Hue Walker, working in Albuquerque
      with David and Laurel to produce student work presentations for the
      LodeStar Dome...

      I am very glad to see folks discussing standards... we who are
      attempting to produce content really want to know what sorts of
      parameters we have to work within...

      one question which springs to mind is... what would y'all
      recommmend for producing domemasters which can deal with
      the different "tilts" out there... (I'm talking about images with an
      obvious horizon)...

      ------Hue----------------( 8:>
      To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
      To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
      and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
      and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings. --W.Berry
    • Don Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2002
        >I'd like to introduce myself... I am Hue Walker, working in Albuquerque
        >with David and Laurel to produce student work presentations for the
        >LodeStar Dome...

        >I am very glad to see folks discussing standards... we who are
        >attempting to produce content really want to know what sorts of
        >parameters we have to work within...

        >one question which springs to mind is... what would y'all
        >recommmend for producing domemasters which can deal with
        >the different "tilts" out there... (I'm talking about images with an
        >obvious horizon)...

        I prefer the 22.5 degree tilt, as it provides a good deal of undistorted
        'below the horizon' area to an audience. A good portion of a landscape
        can be shown without the need to anamporphically stretch the picture
        to fit into a hemispherical format. I always thought 'Omnimax' domes
        were an excellent design. although I like removing any projectors from
        the center of the theater where, after all, the best seats in the house
        are located.

        In my animated hemispherical work for 'Wonders Of The Universe' and
        'New Horizons' as well as my current project I have been using the
        22.5 degree tilt, and it is my hope that this will become a standard
        incorporated into future domed theaters.

        It's nice to see some discussion after a long stretch with everyone
        being either too busy or holding their cards close to them.

        Don Davis