Re: Any fulldome on climate or em spectrum?

  • Chris Anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      I don't want to start a "Dome-L-esque" global warming firestorm here,
      but it bears mentioning (because of the astronomical nature of the
      issue) that Mars, like Earth, experiences changes to its orbital
      eccentricity and obliquity over long time scales (on Earth, they are
      known as Milankovitch cycles). And because Mars doesn't have a large
      Moon to mitigate the obliquity changes, and is more strongly perturbed
      by Jupiter, its changes tend to be more severe than the Earth's.

      Thus, you can't explain away anthropogenic climate change on Earth by
      saying "Mars is warming up too, so the Sun must be to blame" because
      there's a 50-50 chance that Mars's current direction of temperature
      change is upward due to these long-period variations that have nothing
      to do with the Sun.

      This is a classic example of the fallacy of affirming the consequent:
      "If A, then B. B, therefore A." In this case "An increase in solar
      irradiance will warm Mars and the Earth. Mars and the Earth are
      warming, therefore there has been an increase in solar irradiance." It
      ignores the possibility of separate causes producing the same effect.
      It's comparable to "Colds give me the sniffles. I have the sniffles,
      therefore I have a cold" (ignoring the possibility that I have
      allergies, or have been outside in cold temperatures).

      Finally, a recent study has shown that changes in the Sun over the last
      millennium are NOT to blame for the majority of terrestrial climate
      change:
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/060913-sunspots.html

      I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like Mr. Los has an axe to
      grind...

      Chris Anderson

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
        A wide range of topics are beginning to become the subject matter of
        fulldome shows. Being primarily science education in nature at
        present, many different scientific theories will be presented,
        "theories" being the key word. Theories change over time as evidence
        is evaluated. I remember reading about an ice age that was on its
        way not too many years ago.

        The fulldome experience will greatly be enriched by the visual
        exploration of the many differing scientific theories out there. I
        would be very disappointed to see our forum turn into a battleground
        where one theory is marketed over another.

        Tom

        On Jun 1, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

        I don't want to start a "Dome-L-esque" global warming firestorm here...

        H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

        Tom Casey
        President & Creative Director

        100 First Avenue - Suite 450
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        412-391-8200
        mailto:tom@...
        http://www.homerunpictures.com
      • Ed Lantz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2007
          Tom Casey writes:

          "The fulldome experience will greatly be enriched by the visual exploration
          of the many differing scientific theories out there. I would be very
          disappointed to see our forum turn into a battleground where one theory is
          marketed over another."

          It seems everyone is out to promote their particular world view - including
          the creationists. A little controversy in the dome might be good for us,
          however. So many planetarium shows "play it safe" resulting in a pretty
          boring presentation, and even cutting-edge fulldome programs only push the
          envelope slightly.

          I think the dome is a great place to ask the "big questions," like where did
          we come from, where are we going, what is really happening with the weather,
          etc. Staying tightly aligned with mainstream scientific "doctrine" can be a
          formula for boredom - even for visitors who are scientists! The cutting edge
          of science has always been on the fringes of what is knowable - that is
          where imagination, creativity and vision are activated - the juices that
          engage and motivate most of the greatest scientists in the first place.

          I think where popular media steps over the line is in confusing speculation
          (a valid first-step in the scientific process) with valid or falsifiable
          scientific theory. There are many things in life that lie outside of the
          verifiable bounds of science... unanswered questions are, by definition,
          unknowable or difficult to validate or falsify. A scientist is not wrong to
          ask big questions (or even fun questions ala Mythbusters) and to speculate
          possible answers - this is the early stage of formulating a hypotheses. Is
          there life on other planets? Might there be life after death? Is nature
          inherently "intelligent?" Might we one day travel faster than the speed of
          light? These questions fire the imagination and are not anathema to
          science. It is claiming that you have the answers - without offering
          sufficient proof - that is taboo to the scientific process.

          There is a place for the dissemination of scientific knowledge in the dome,
          to be sure. However I think the highest use of the immersive medium as an
          informal educational tool is to open minds and hearts to new possibilities
          and visions (new world views, if you will), to ask "what if," and to
          activate a sense of mystery in the visitor, while at the same time
          empowering them to realize that they themselves could some day be the one to
          solve these unanswered questions (using the STEM toolbox). There are
          countless stories of great scientists and engineers who were driven by a
          childhood dream which, at the time, seemed like an impossible quest.

          I also think that it is important for educators to not just disseminate the
          tools of STEM (science, engineering, technology and math), but to encourage
          the use of these powerful tools with a sense of social and environmental
          responsibility. Again, the dome is a great place to inspire young minds
          with a sense that we are all interconnected in the sphere of life called
          earth, and the quality of our life depends greatly on our choices and
          behaviors. The tools of STEM, when used wisely, can greatly improve our
          lives. When used unconsciously or out of fear, these tools yield a very
          dystopian future. By inspiring our future scientists, engineers,
          technicians and mathematicians with positive visions and noble quests for
          the future, we provide a compass heading for their careers to blossom into
          good fruits for all of humanity.

          Ed Lantz
          ed@...
        • sharon.shanks
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 7, 2007
            > Tom Casey writes:

            >> "The fulldome experience .. snip>

            Snip most of excellent reply ...
            "By inspiring our future scientists, engineers, technicians and
            mathematicians with positive visions and noble quests for
            the future, we provide a compass heading for their careers to
            blossom into good fruits for all of humanity."
            - Ed Lantz

            Bravo, Ed. Eloquent and well said. :)

            Sharon, Ward Beecher, Youngstown