Re: Show Length

  • Mike Murray
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
      Kevin Conod makes an excellent point about show length. When we
      re-established our identity from the Hansen to the Clark Planetarium in 2003
      with fulldome video we thought hard and surveyed our audiences about that
      very subject. We felt the days of 45-minute long "feature shows" were over,
      especially with the kind of emotional intensity you can achieve with
      fulldome animation. The best length (for us anyway) has been the 35-minute
      length. Doing anything shorter made the public feel shortchanged, and the
      script was way too fluffy because you didn't have time to develop a real
      "story".

      Just last summer we tried running a 20-minute long show, even adding a
      4-minute fulldome "preamble" to the and following it up with a 10-minute
      "what's up tonight" segment. It tanked. Word got out really quickly
      (indicated through attendance and surveys) that the show was way too short.
      People felt jipped.

      Now if a planetarium is primarily a "tourist attraction" and the average
      visitor wants to spend only 60-90 minutes in the entire institution, that's
      one thing. While at the Museum of the Rockies we ran 22-minute shows in the
      summer and our capture rate jumped from 30% to 44%. But that was a unique
      situation. Most all the people who have purchased shows from us prefer the
      35 minute show length.

      However, this does bring up a question I'd like to ask the group:

      Is there an interest out there in running "mini-shows" (12-20 minute
      vignettes) or "news reels" (2-4 minutes long)? Either of these could be run
      before a "main feature," or even as several segments pieced together to
      offer a chapter approach to hot topics and current events. I ask because we
      have a possible opportunity to create such a format but I need to know that
      there's interest in actually running it.

      Any feedback would be appreciated!

      Mike.
      ------------------------------

      Mike Murray
      Programs Manager
      Clark Planetarium
      801-456-4949
      mmurray@...

      ------------------------------
    • Rebecca Nesbitt
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        We at Sci-Port are in the mini-show and newsreel market. Given the
        nature of our open dome (people can come and go) and our bench seating,
        watching anything longer than 30 minutes can be uncomfortable.
        Moreover, admission to our planetarium is part of the overall admission
        to the science center, so people feel like they're getting something
        extra (lagniappe, as we say in Louisiana) when we can offer them
        something short and personal, in addition to our live presentations and
        movies (all of which are about 25 minutes long). We did develop a short
        show for our donor gala (11/18) which we continue to play. It's 10
        minutes long and our visitors love it.