Fulldome 3D Stereo demo in Athens

  • Steven T. Savage
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
      Greetings!

      I am pleased to announce Sky-Skan is presenting Fulldome 3D Stereo at the Eugenides Planetarium in Athens, Greece on November 13th and 14th. We will be presenting pre-rendered, filmed, and HD content in 2D and 3D stereo. DigitalSky 2 is now 3D enabled and we will be flying thru molecules, the solar system and the whole of the universe in fulldome 3D stereo.

      Here is a link with more details.

      http://www.skyskan.com/link/2006-Athens_demo/

      The Eugenides digital planetarium in Athens is one of the finest theaters in the world. If you needed an excuse to visit Athens, the Acropolis, and the Parthenon, this is it! We hope you can make it to Athens!

      Best regards,
      Steve

      Steven T. Savage
      President
      51 Lake Street
      Nashua, NH 03060-4513

      T: 1-603-880-8500
      F: 1-603-882-6522
      www.skyskan.com
    • Andy Dolph
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        Steve,

        Sounds very exciting - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering
        what 3d technology you are using. I had thought (maybe incorrectly)
        that polarized lens based stereo projections would not work on a dome.

        So, would you share a bit about the technology? (if it's not too
        proprietary, off course...)

        Thanks!

        Andy
      • Ron Proctor
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
          Indeed. I've tried anaglyph 3D with limited success, as the view angle
          differs with each seat.

          I just need to make a device that forces everyone's head into the same
          orientation. It might hurt ticket sales though... :)

          --
          Ron Proctor
          Production Coordinator
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
            What an amazing co-incidence...

            Also in November, in Athens, we (SEOS) will be installing a stereoscopic Fulldome system!

            This is a permanent installation for the Foundation of the Hellenic World in Athens where the newly built Tholos Dome will feature Fulldome stereoscopic realtime and pre-rendered content. We believe that it will be one of the (if not the) World's first permanent public Fulldome stereoscopic digital projection systems.

            This project was hotly contested through a very strict tender process and the results are open to the public so I can talk about them. We were awarded the contract earlier this year after numerous demonstrations and technical evaluations. All the big names applied but only three companies made it to the final shortlist; Telmarco/Barco, 3DP and us. We were slightly more expensive but we won it overall on technical merit.

            The system is a conventional six channel set-up (five around and one on the cap) using passive stereo and specially adapted DLP projectors. We are also supplying our autoalignment system which means that routine projector alignment is fully automated.

            There are many challenges though to "Stereo in a Dome" that go way beyond the choice of stereoscopic imaging and projection. The Tholos dome is due to open to the public very shortly and once the ribbon cutting ceremony is behind us we will be putting together a case study and background information that we will make available to everyone. Fortunately we believe we have devised a system that doesn't need head restraints or blinkers!

            More to follow..

            Martin

            Martin Howe
            VP Visualisation
            SEOS Ltd
            martin.howe@...
          • Ed Lantz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
              Thanks for sharing details on your project, Martin. 3D is an important advancement for domes and I applaud all the system integrators, manufacturers & engineers who have taken on this challenge.

              Are these systems passive (polarizer glasses) or active (shutter glasses) stereo?

              Ed

              Ed Lantz
              Visual Bandwidth, Inc.
              1290 Baltimore Pike, Suite 111
              Chadds Ford, PA 19317
              tel: 610.590.4269
              cell: 484.467.1267
              fax: 610.358.1689
              ed@...
              www.visualbandwidth.com
            • Martin Howe
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006
                is passive but does not use polarisation. Instead it uses a colour notch
                filter solution which separates r,g,b frequencies for each eye. There
                are a number of benefits to this which we'll summarise in our project
                write up.

                I do agree with David McConville's point in his subsequent posting. I am
                concerned that there will be a drive to use stereo in Fulldome systems
                when in many cases it may have little added value and in fact detract
                from the message of the content. Stereo in a dome is only valid if there
                is a valid reason in the first place. We barely have enough good mono
                content to keep the audiences coming back (although I believe that this
                is set to change quite rapidly), it would be a shame if stereo became a
                marketing gimmick as this may have a harmful impact on the public
                perception of this unique medium.

                The Foundation of the Hellenic World had a particular reason for wanting
                to use stereo in their theatre; they have had many years experience
                using stereo in a Cubic visualisation system (aka Cave) and they have a
                good understanding of their objectives in the use of stereoscopy in
                their dome.

                Martin

                Martin Howe
                Vice President, Visualization
                SEOS Ltd
                tel: +44 (0) 1444 870 888
                mob +44 (0) 7793 414 553
                www.seos.com
              • pauldavidbourke
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
                  > is passive but does not use polarisation. Instead it uses a colour notch
                  > filter solution which separates r,g,b frequencies for each eye.

                  I assume this is the Infitec system, quite popular at the moment in this part of the world.

                  The key advatanges over polaroid is
                  1. very very low ghosting levels
                  2. doesn't require a special polarisation preserving screen

                  The key disadvanatges are
                  1. Very careful colour calibration is required or images are "coloured", in green and pinks.
                  2. The glasses are not cheap, similar in price to the active shutter glasses.
                  3. A somewhat controlled lighting environment is required, not a problem I guess for a
                  planetarium.