RE: [fulldome] Minolta MediaGlobe DOME-L Posting

  • nightsight1@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2002
      Ryan Wyatt <ryan@...> wrote:

      >Did everyone see this on DOME-L? The future is now: realtime,
      >fulldome. Uh, low res, but that will continue to evolve, right?

      Ryan,

      I was lucky enough to be present at the first US demo in Orlando, and yes, the MediaGlobe is amazing. The resolution isn't "high," but it is better than the Digistars that I've seen (medium-res might be a better term,) and Sony (I think) has an even higher resolution projector in the works. The MediaGlobe is still limited to 9.1 meter domes and smaller, but these are the domes that could never install full-dome video otherwise. Within this size range, the star field is better than Digistar (but I still prefere my MS-8) and the full-dome video, pans, as well as the "slides" rival the equipment in larger domes. The video is still a little jerky at times, but a faster processor is all that appears to be needed. Plus, this one unit replaces all of a small dome's slide projectors, video projectors, control system, and even audio system! It will definitely revolutionize small domes and allow them to compete beter with larger domes.

      Laurent

      Laurent Pellerin
      Operations & Production
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      Sanford, Florida
      PelleriL@...

      --
      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.

      Chairman, Dark Sky Advisory Committee
      Central Florida Astronomical Society, Inc.
      407 688 2540 (home)
      407 400 1303 (pager)