News from AMNH -- from Vendors, Too?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2001
      So many things happening, so little to say?

      I thought I'd break the months-long silence on the list with a brief
      question to the vendors on the list. Since I assume y'all are
      interested in letting us know what's in the works, would any of you
      care to describe some of the projects you have underway? New
      theaters recently opened or opening soon? Shows about to be
      released? Attendance records broken? Souls inspired?

      I'll mention a tiny fulldome item in the works here at the American
      Museum of Natural History. We have a "Moveable Museum" going on the
      road early next year -- a Winnabego stripped of the typical
      accoutrements and stocked with interactive physics and astronomy
      exhibits. One of the featured workstations will employ an eLumens
      VisionStation (http://www.elumens.com) running interactive software
      that allows students to steer around the solar system.

      I mentioned the eLumens technolgy in the very last posting to the
      group ('way back on 19 September) in terms of its high-profile
      appearance at SIGGRAPH. We're hoping to explore public
      implementations of the technology in the Moveable Museum.

      I should also note that the Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum
      also uses eLumens VisionStations in its new CyberSpace interactive
      exhibit. I visited there last week and enjoyed the exciting
      environment they've created -- well beyond the scope of this message
      to describe, but something to check out!

      Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some traffic on the list now
      that all people have to do is attend holiday parties and write
      emails. :) Even if you don't choose to write, have a happy solstice
      and a very merry holiday season.

      Ryan.
    • Timo Rahunen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2001
        Hello all,

        We are going to install a partial dome video system in Tampere Planetarium,
        Finland. Our projector system is going to be able to show both prerecorded
        video materials (Standard and High Definition) and real-time 3D graphics
        from genlocked PCs. We are now looking for information about video
        sources, especially about High Definition uncompressed and MPEG2 players and
        their suitability to dome environment. Does anyone have any information and
        experiences to share?

        Warm regards from cold and dark Finland

        Timo Rahunen

        Timo Rahunen, PhD - Head, Dolphinarium and Planetarium
        Tampereen Sarkanniemi Oy, FIN-33230 Tampere, Finland
        e-mail: timo.rahunen@...
        phone: +358-3-2488225 mobile: +358-400 625891 fax: +358-3-2121279
      • Schmidt Mickey Civ 50 TS/CC
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2001
          No Project yet! but encouraging sounds from higher level commanders. I have
          begun collecting information regarding available systems; costs,
          capabilities, equipment needs, software needs memory needs, man-power needs
          and building requirements. As soon as I get materials collected I will make
          a presentation regarding possible systems related to levels of funding. We
          are looking 1 to 3 yrs down range. I realize systems may change a lot in 3
          years so I have asked vendors to make suggestions based on their best guess
          of capabilities. We are looking for the "normal" play back system for
          tourist and school shows but would like to see systems described which are
          capable of real time, interactive, programs to simulate war-gaming, mission
          review, and engineering problems, and other academic research.

          We have asked for what we hope are sufficient funds for a high performance
          system, but if full funding should not occur we may select a more modest
          system. Commanders would like data from all vendors of full dome systems.

          Mickey Schmidt