Belated SIGGRAPH Redux

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19 8:42 PM
      I meant to send this out many moons ago, but Davin's message
      finally guilted me into finishing it...

      Kudos to Ed Lantz, who gathered forces at SIGGRAPH 2001 a month
      or so ago to present a full-day course on fulldome video. Ed
      announced the course on the list, as some of you may recall,
      and a few subscribers participated in the panel that introduced
      our new field to the SIGGRAPH universe.

      Ben Shedd (Princeton) opened the day with a thoughtful take on
      immersive theater, rooted in his decades of experience with cinema
      and large-format film. Ed Lantz and Brad Thomson (Spitz, Inc.)
      followed up with an overview of the current state of fulldome
      that included extensive real-world experience. Carter Emmart
      (American Museum of Natural History) described the Rose Center's
      first year of operations and outlined the show production process.
      Martin Ratcliffe (Exploration Place) charted the integration of
      interactive elements into the fulldome mix. And finally, Frank
      Summers (Space Telescope Science Institute) gave a brief overview
      of science visualization, followed by Yours Truly (representing
      Carolyn Sumners, Houston Museum of Natural Science) surveying
      the fulldome work done at the Burke Baker Planetarium.

      Quite a full plate of ideas presented over the course of a day,
      and a thorough (although necessarily limited) introduction to
      the current state of the fulldome art.

      Another observation from SIGGRAPH... Domes are cropping up
      everywhere! A 1.5-meter eLumens VisionStation made an appearance
      during the fulldome course, but many more (of varying sizes)
      showed up in the vendors' area. The eLumens technology obviously
      attracted several companies to use the immersive medium to highlight
      their products. It's catching on!

      Thanks for reading. More to come...

      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space