New theaters

  • Joyce Towne
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2001
      OK, I'll contribute.

      There are a few more new immersive theaters of note recently opened. I
      didn't see them mentioned or featured in any magazine articles lately, so
      here are some details. Please welcome them to the digital dome community.

      The Rauch Planetarium at Gheens Science Hall, University of Louisville
      opened in April. They produced a signature module in the ImmersaVision®200
      format to add to the beginning of other shows. They are currently featuring
      "Oasis in Space", "Our Place in Space", sky shows, "Legends of the Night
      Sky" full-dome laser animation feature, and CineMuse high-definition
      features (the latter through a separate hi-def projection system). See more
      on this multi-purpose theater at www.louisville.edu/planetarium

      On June 30, the Planetarium at the National Space Centre in Leicester, U.K.
      opened. Alex Barnett, Director, welcomed Prince Andrew, Duke of York in
      July, as he visited the immersive theater to take in the show "Big". The
      Centre passed the 50,000 visitor mark in early August and expects 150,000
      visitors by year's end. The space theater is the most popular attraction at
      the centre.
      Alex and her staff are producing shows in the ImmersaVision®200 format which
      are being distributed through Spitz, Inc.
      Please see the science centre web site at www.nssc.co.uk

      This month, the digital planetarium at the new Alexandria Library, Egypt,
      was completed. There will be a soft opening for government dignitaries on 1
      October. Since the rest of the huge library complex will not open until May,
      the public opening of the planetarium will be held until then. This theater
      will run several shows including "Oasis in Space". In addition to the
      200-degree ElectricSky® video display, the theater will feature large-format
      films via a MegaSystems projection system.
      For pictures, go to www.bibalex.gov.eg, select Album, and scroll through the
      Feb.'01 photos.