RE: Query about fulldome systems

  • Martin Ratcliffe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2001
      Dear Michael

      Here are web links to most of the all-dome vendors. Also I can email you a
      list of current and forthcoming theaters installing such systems directly to
      your email address. I compiled the list for a feature article about all-dome
      planetarium systems that will probably be in the October issue of Astronomy
      magazine. Look out for it when it comes out. I would encourage you to visit
      many different systems and talk to many people before deciding on your
      choice.

      Here are the Web Links
      http://www.spitzinc.com/
      http://www.es.com/products/digital+theater/
      http://www.trimension-inc.com/
      http://www.skyskan.com
      http://www.goto.co.jp/index-e.html

      Regards

      Martin Ratcliffe
      Director, Theaters & Media Services
      Exploration Place
      300 N McLean Blvd
      Wichita, KS 67203

      2001-2002 President, International Planetarium Society - see our web page at
      http://www.ips-planetarium.org
      Discover the explorer in you at http://www.exploration.org
      Find the astronomer in you at http://www.astronomy.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2001
        Dear Martin:

        That's terrific that you are doing an article on fulldome technology
        for Astronomy Magazine. If you would like some graphics (dome
        masters or sectors) from some of the Houston shows, please let me (or
        Tony Butterfield or Neal Desai) know. HMNS was the first to have a
        fulldome scifi show (Alien Oceans - the Search for Dharmok's Gate),
        the first to have a ultrawide Earth science show (Powers of Time),
        and the first to have a fulldome Earth and Space Weather show (Force
        5). The latter two had major funding from NASA's ESIP program, who
        has been instrumental in getting the Houston theater up and running
        and supporting content development. (ESIP = Earth Science
        Information Partnership). For more info on ESIP, see
        http://www.esipfed.org For more info on the "Museums Teaching
        Planet Earth" program, see http://earth.rice.edu/mtpe .

        Our ESIP project also paid for Don Davis to create the "Formation of
        the Moon" clip which many theaters (and even the Discovery Channel)
        now are using. So, if anyone uses that clip, they need Don's (or
        Terry's) permission (he holds the copyright) but they should also
        include a credit to NASA. Without NASA, HMNS wouldn't have been able
        to be the first wideformat theater in the country, and NASA deserves
        a lot of credit for taking the risk to partner in the new technology.
        (NASA money was of course was matched more than 2-for-1 with HMNS
        internal funds). NASA has also funded the development, or provided
        source material, or 3-D models which have been used in other shows at
        other theaters.