Monthly Administrative Note

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2001
      I couldn't let an entire month go by without some kind of posting,
      even if it's just the monthly administrative note...

      We're up to 112 members now, all waiting on the edge of their seats
      for the next fulldome post. This particular (less than exciting)
      message simply covers some questions that occasionally come my way
      and helps to keep everybody on the same electronic page. I post
      something similar every month.

      To reiterate... The intended audience for this group is not limited
      to users of a particular system or a particular company. Both real-time
      and playback media fall under the purvey of the group, within the realm
      of both fulldome and panoramic video technologies. While philosophical
      speculation about the effect of this nascent technology on the planetarium
      medium also makes sense as a topic of discussion, the core purpose of
      this list should not stray to subjects better addressed on DOME-L or
      in other forums.

      I will moderate the list, approving both subscribers and postings.
      You may contact me directly by mailing to

      fulldome-owner@yahoogroups.com

      To send messages to members of this group, simply send email to

      fulldome@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to fulldome, you may unsubscribe at any
      time by sending an email to

      To tell your friends to subscribe, have them send a blank email

      fulldome-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Also, note that many features are available online at the web site
      version of the list:

      Including access to a complete and up-to-date subscriber list and
      archives of all postings (even the ones from before you joined).
      Plus, you can change account options to have email sent to you
      in digested format or only collected online. You must sign up
      with your email address and enter a password in order to access
      these features.

      Also, you can respond to our ongoing poll, if you haven't already,
      on the web at:

      You may also visit the Yahoo Groups web site to modify your subscriptions:

      Thanks for reading!

      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History
      79th Street & Central Park West
      New York, NY 10024
      212.313.7903 vox
      212.313.7868 fax
    • Michael V. Magee
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2001
        Hello everyone,

        We are in the mid stages of developing plans for a new science center
        and planetarium here in Tucson to replace the existing Flandrau
        Science Center and Planetarium. I have been spending increasing
        amounts of time looking into the various existing and developing
        technologies available for planetariums in preparation for our new
        facility. I have been tracking the fulldome technologies as best as I
        can from conference visits and this list-serve but I must admit to
        being woefully ignorant about the subject.

        I would like to put together a list of manufacturers or vendors who
        are currently supplying fulldome video systems and/or associated
        software and hardware. Does anyone out there have such a
        comprehensive list or at least a few recommendations? Anything would
        be greatly appreciated.

        Thank you,
        Michael Magee
        Michael V. Magee Voice: (520) 621-3645
        Planetarium Director FAX: (520) 621-8451
        Flandrau Science Center email: mvmagee@...
        1601 E. University Blvd. pager: (520) 410-3670
        University of Arizona vmail: (520) 621-2001;111-1132
        Tucson, AZ 85719 http://www.flandrau.org/
      • Michael V. Magee
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24, 2001
          Hello all,

          I would like to express my thanks to all of you who replied to my
          questions about fulldome systems last week. I received many replies
          and they were all very helpful and positive. I now have plenty of
          information to keep me busy doing research on the subject for quite
          some time! Our time line for the new center is about four years from
          now to start construction, and opening about one year later. By that
          time I'm sure the technologies will change somewhat but it is good to
          develop an understanding of the field now, so that I can be on top of
          it when the time comes to order and install equipment. I look forward
          to Martin Ratcliffe's article in the October Astronomy magazine.

          Thanks again,
          Michael