Job opening in the Land of Enchantment

  • Ladwig, Laurel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2001
      The LodeStar Astronomy Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico is accepting
      applications for our Planetarium Technician position.

      We are a full astronomy center complete with 2 levels of astronomy exhibits,
      an observatory equipped with a computerized Meade 16inch telescope, a Sim-Ex
      Virtual Voyage motion simulator and of course, planetarium.

      Our state-of-the-art planetarium is equipped with SkyVision by SkySkan,
      Digistar II, Spice automation system, 5.1 Surround Sound, dissolving
      panoramas, and many other geeky toys.

      We are looking for a technician (a.k.a. jack of all trades) to help maintain
      all of the above with an emphasis on the motion simulator and planetarium.
      We need someone who isn't afraid to jump in and get his/her feet wet and
      learn how to help keep this puppy running! Knowledge of Digistar, BARCOS,
      SPICE, film projectors, rendering farms, or telescopes a plus.

      If you are interested in joining our wacky yet dedicated team, please
      contact me for more details.

      Laurel Ladwig
      Planetarium Manager
      LodeStar Astronomy Center
      1801 Mountain Road
      Albuquerque, NM 87104
      505.841.5981
      lladwig@...

      "The Sun, with all the planets revolving around it, and depending on it, can
      still ripen a bunch of grapes as though it had nothing else in the Universe
      to do." --Galileo Galilei

      Planetarium Technician
      <http://www.unm.edu/~hrnet/jobs/m30573.htm>
      SUMMARY:
      Under general supervison, provides a variety of technical support services
      for equipment and systems relating to the planetarium, exhibits and
      observatory at the LodeStar Astronomy Center at the New Mexico Museum of
      Natural History & Sciences. Transports, installs, calibrates, and operates a
      variety of planetarium equipment such as projectors, sound equipment,
      recorders, computers, and lighting. Troubleshoots, repairs and upgrades
      equipment as needed.

      DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
      *Transports, installs, calibrates, and operates theater production,
      presentation and control equipment and systems including projectors,
      cameras, camera control units, audio and video recorders, lighting
      equipment, exhibits, computers, and audio systems for theaters.

      *Moves and sets theater and exhibit lights as required, ensuring proper
      light levels and conformance to lighting plans.

      *Prepares equipment for public shows, meetings, teleconferences, and special
      events in theaters and other spaces.

      *Participates in installation, testing upgrades, maintenance and repair of
      all equipment and software relating to the theaters and other programs.

      *Operates audio boards, tape machines, and microphones to ensure proper
      audio levels and sound quality.

      *Maintains upgrade and maintenance schedules and records on theater
      equipment.

      *Completes preventive maintenance on production equipment.

      *Leads, guides, and trains staff and/or students performing related work, as
      appropriate.

      *Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.

      MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
      Technical Certificate in a Related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering
      Discipline. Three to five years experience directly related to the duties
      and responsibilities specified.

      KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
      Ability to install and operate theater control, presentation
      and production equipment and systems. Knowledge of lighting and sound
      procedures and requirements. Ability to arrange and configure facilities and
      equipment. Ability to calibrate, troubleshoot and maintain audiovisual and
      other related equipment. Records maintenance skills. Ability to effectively
      manage time and schedules. Abililty to coordinate production personnel for
      programs. Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.

      DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
      Position requires: a) Maintaining and repairing a wide range of technologies
      including sound, lighting, and theater control systems; and b) working
      knowledge of telescopes, exhibits and other technologies employed in a
      science center.