Re: "Dance" Confusion

  • Jack Dunn
    Message 1 of 59 , Sep 5, 2006
      Ryan and all:

      I think the discussion of music is ok for this forum. After all, part
      of the group is to discuss the artistic and conceptual side of
      fulldome as well as the technical part. And, by no means
      do I think "Sonicvision" isn't successful. I just suspect I'm
      not in it's prime audience. One thing is that we do have
      different audiences out there. As much as we try to make
      shows that serve everyone, there are going to be things that
      work better in some places than others simply because of
      the local audience and the direction of the pr attached to
      a facility. (I keep wondering if anyone would dare play
      "Origins of Life" in Kansas.(g)
      Imagine those IDers watching your search for life show there
      or in rural Kentucky). (g)

      Then too, I'm showing my age in that I'm an old rocker,
      who just isn't going to find the same things in the Sonicvision
      music list that I find stimulating. I think it's great you got
      a musician of Moby's callibur to become interested in doing
      a project. You are correct when you identified that I wanted
      to throw out the idea that it might make a great show to use
      a "coherent thematic arc" because, whether a laser show or
      fulldome music show, that sense of story would seem to me
      to make for something artists could utilize. We've seen a lot
      of posts on the list that talk about the styles and concepts
      in fulldome shows. It's my hope that we will see more
      concept music shows from NY and elsewhere as another
      diverse use of the fulldome medium. .

      --

      Clear DARK Skies,

      Jack Dunn - Mueller Planetarium
    • Mike Murray
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 4, 2006
        My own feeling is that the evolution of fulldome production and funding
        models can (and should) help to advance the professionalism and diversity of
        what IPS does. Securing larger budgets and establishing effective
        collaborations are a part of the picture, but they are also a matter of
        perspective. Museum and planetarium staffs have a long history of finding
        ingenious and resourceful ways of producing content - you don't need a
        million+ dollars to do a good show. It's about finding good talent and
        developing an efficient way to do it right, which leads me to a thought I
        want to share about content creation...

        When the infusion of slide and special effects projectors exploded into
        planetariums in the 60's and 70's, suddenly everyone wanted to be a "show
        producer." Unfortunately, most staff at the time (me included) had academic
        or technical backgrounds but that didn't stop us from thinking we could
        produce great programs. In many cases, we were wrong. Scientific training
        did little to teach us good communication skills or the basics of visual and
        aural literacy. I only learned because my father was a stage actor/radio
        personality and my mother was an artist! And even then I produced a lot of
        crap before getting reasonably effective at it.

        My point is this: We can learn a lot by opening our doors (and minds) to
        other professional organizations and companies that produce similar kinds of
        media. I'm not talking about emulating the inefficient Hollywood model, but
        pulling some of the fundamental elements of cinematic writing and
        visualizing and reshaping them for the dome environment. The planetarium
        business needs to be less like a closed door incestuous industry and more
        "connected" with the larger media world. IPS has already made some great
        strides in that direction by developing closer relationships with NASA, ASP,
        AAS and others thanks to the forward-minded efforts of Martin Ratcliffe, Jon
        Elvert, and Jim Manning. The leaders of fulldome can do a lot to pull IPS
        along in other crucial areas, including those that are not purely
        "educational." I believe it can and should be a symbiotic relationship.

        For what it's worth,
        Mike.

        Mike Murray
        Programs Manager