4631LIPS* 2014 recap and LIPS 2015 update

  • bergieberglund
    Aug 18, 2014
      * LIPS = Live Interactive Planetarium Symposium

      Hi all,Last week from Wednesday, August 13 through Friday, August 15 was the fourth annual LIPS. This year we were lucky enough to have the Treworgy Planetarium at Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut act as our host. All of the Treworgy staff were fantastic: Energetic, enthusiastic, welcoming, and extremely accommodating. The setting was gorgeous, and we had an opportunity to tour the Mystic grounds after hours one day as well as take a lunch time cruise on the historic steamship Sabino on the last day of the conference. If you have never been to Mystic Seaport and the Treworgy Planetarium, you should definitely find time to go!The three days were full of laughter, discussions, thought-provoking presentations, and exchanges of ideas.

      There were about 40 attendees again this year. In the past we have had international attendance, but this year 100 percent of the attendees were from the US. There was a good mix of planetarium types represented; we had teachers from both portable and fixed domes, and we had users of pinhole and digital technologies from several manufacturers.

      We had eight sponsors this year--the highest number yet--and those sponsors were (in alphabetical order):

      * Audio-Visual Imagineering (AVI)
      * California Academy of Sciences
      * Digitalis
      * E-Planetarium
      * Evans and Sutherland (E&S)
      * Seiler Instruments
      * Sky-Skan
      * Spitz

      Thank you again to all of the above companies! It was exciting to see such a high level of support and to learn how all of these businesses encourage their customers to do live, interactive planetarium presentations.

      We had many fantastic sessions presented, covering a wide range of topics such as:

      * Celestial navigation
      * Teaching about tides
      * Using your dome for non-traditional presentations (poetry readings, etc.)
      * Improv techniques
      * Star stories of the zodiac
      * Fulldome interactive explorations with video games
      * A kinesthetic activity for teaching moon phases
      * Storytelling
      * Encouraging future planetarium presenters

      And much, much more. If you weren't there, you missed out on a lot of great content and camaraderie!

      I am also happy to announce that we have selected a site and time frame for LIPS 2015. I want to thank Ryan Wyatt and Josh Roberts of California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco for offering to host LIPS 2015. During our "Future of LIPS" discussion at Mystic last week, we agreed as a group to accept that generous offer. Exact dates are still to be determined, but LIPS 2015 will take place in San Francisco over three days during the week of September 14-18.  If you are interested in attending LIPS 2015, I encourage you to block out that week of September 14-18 in your 2015 calendar, and of course stay tuned for more details.

      As always, let me know if you have any questions: Karrie AT DigitalisEducation.com . I hope to see many of you in San Francisco for LIPS 2015!

      Sincerely,

      Karrie Berglund
      Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.