4336Re: mind-blowing immersive visual music experiences

  • Christopher Hudson
    Dec 18, 2013
      Ken, thanks for this. Again, interesting.

      For sure you can use our planetarium as a venue. In fact I'm sure we would do it at cost. As has been mentioned, a new audience would raise the profile of the Centre for Life and help meet our core aim of science communication.

      I'd still be concerned about the business case for a 69 seat theatre, but I appreciate that I'm not the expert there. However, as an organisation we are very professional with our business plan. We have had thirteen years of successfully (I think!) communicating science and supporting biological research without a penny of either local or national government funding. The planetarium has about 90,000 paying visitors a year. That is hard work.

      So yes, wickedly good content properly promoted would probably work! I think you make the point, though, when you suggest that it has to be more than just cool and pretty.

      I'd certainly go the extra mile to facilitate your work here at Life's planetarium.

      But there is a wider issue I tried to raise on how to fund artistically worthwhile fulldome works. I honestly can't see how to make money on arts programmes in our planetarium. Other than by way of grants. I guess that may be true of much of the wider arts world too! That doesn't stop us doing it, but it limits what we can do and saddest of all it prevents us really rewarding the artists as they deserve.

      I also like the analysis of VR. Sounds reasonable. I feel, though, that it will complement the dome experience rather than replace it. There was a lot of debate a decade ago about the death of the cinema as home TV/ DVD started leaping in quality, but the cinemas upped their game and there is still nothing like the *shared* experience of a movie. There is not much of a problem getting friends to talk about and go to see movies in the cinema, both (selected) blockbusters at a multiplex and the more interesting stuff at our local independent. I'd love to be at the point when a new fulldome movie or curation of fulldome shorts was a regular 'must see' social event for more than a niche market.

      Chris

      Christopher Hudson

      Planetarium Supervisor
      Centre for Life