4259Re: [fulldome] Fulldome Production Storage and Network Solution

  • Paul Mowbray
    Oct 10, 2013
      Hey David and those listening in

      Very helpful to hear about your setup, sounds pretty sweet, I see why you are pushing 60fps so much ;)

      Interesting that you use RAID 10, I was reading some debate about this recently and there are those for and against it. One thing mentioned with the lack of a parity drive that error recovery on a drive is more likely to take the hole partition down or corrupt it. What experiences have you had with RAID reliability?

      You mentioned having a central file server and then 3 other separate servers with 2/3 users each. Is all the data duplicated/synchronised in some way or is each server holding different data and you organise your workflow so that each user mainly uses there dedicated server to maintain performance? Are shared assets saved on the central server or is that one used more for renders from the farm? What connection do the animators have to the switch? You using any file asset management software?

      I'm sure others will be pretty envious of your "prosumer" setup, I am!

      Not quite sure what you mean about the SAN not scaling well with renderers, could you expand on that another way please?

      This is one turn-key solution i've started looking at http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/evo/ which looks interesting but I'm not sure if it is right for our workload and workflow yet.

      @everyone please do chime in with any comments on what IT you are using, big and small, don't let David put you off with his 100's of nodes and fancy de-duplication!

      Cheers

      --