      From: Andy Dolph <acdolph@...>
      To: "fulldome@yahoogroups.com" <fulldome@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:46 PM
      Subject: [fulldome] Re: Seeking recommendations for 3D software

      I know that Alex Lindsay at Pixel Corps strongly recommends people start in Cinema4D for both learning curve and workflow reasons. I have a lot of respect for his opinion, but that's general advice, not dome specific and I don't know what would be required to get dome masters out of Cinema4D.

      Andy

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects - not stereoscopic shows. I have so far worked mostly in After Effects for show production and feel pretty comfortable there.

      We're now looking to add 3D animation to our production capabilities. I am realistic that we aren't going to produce a full, beginning-to-end, 3D modeled extravaganza right out of the gate (or necessarily ever), but it's time to enhance our tools and skills. We have been granted some funding for production software and training in the coming year, so we have a couple questions for those with experience.

      I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor 3D Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender? Could I (as one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out of commercial software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons, strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for someone just getting started?

      And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

      Thanks

      Drew
      --
      Drew Gilmore