3988Re: Seeking recommendations for 3D software

  • Andrea Carvey
    Nov 30, 2012
      I've use lightwave for years. I'm happy with its capabilities but it has a different paradigm thanmaya so if you are familiar with one the other seems difficult & confusing. They both have pros & cons and can be used to do different things in the same project but that usually doesnt happen since there are " maya" people & "lightwave" people. My experience is that maya practcally requires structured training to become
      Proficient whereas w ligjtwave it is easier to learn on one's own

      Andrea
      ------------------------------
      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:09 PM MST John French wrote:

      Drew,

      Recently we hired some MSU students to do some 3D animation work for us. We have 3dsMax, but the students were using Maya in their classes. So at least here, the university students are trained on Maya (I think because it has a better educational discount). They were able to pick up Max quick enough but it would have be easier had we used Maya.

      Just my 2 cents.

      John French.

      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...>wrote:

      Hi all,

      First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects
      - not stereoscopic shows. I have so far worked mostly in After Effects for
      show production and feel pretty comfortable there.

      We're now looking to add 3D animation to our production capabilities. I am
      realistic that we aren't going to produce a full, beginning-to-end, 3D
      modeled extravaganza right out of the gate (or necessarily ever), but it's
      time to enhance our tools and skills. We have been granted some funding for
      production software and training in the coming year, so we have a couple
      questions for those with experience.

      I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free
      stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor 3D
      Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender? Could I (as
      one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out of commercial
      software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons,
      strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for
      someone just getting started?

      And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
      consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
      for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

      Thanks

      Drew
      --
      Drew Gilmore