3871Re: Staffing portable domes

  • Patricia Reiff
    Jul 9, 2012
      HMNS reached over 78,000 students in Discovery Domes in 2011, and all except "events" were just one person in a small car. Three of our presenters are women over 60 years old!

      But for events, I agree with Karrie, an extra person is important. We actually like to have three people - one inside as an operator, one at the door, and one showing off our shows, software, getting signups, making luggage tags, etc. at the demo table. That also allows for one person to take a break from time to time!

      It takes our presenters about 30 minutes to set up, and about 20 minutes to take down. They keep all their equipment plugged in in a rolling case so it sets up quickly. Ideally we like to use the school's "mini gym" because they have exercise mats handy. If we bring our own foam floor that takes a bit longer to set up. With our system with the mirror in back, we can seat 29 adults in a 5m dome, and the front row gets to lie down so they don't have to crane their necks. Having a soft floor is nice, because if we have a smaller crowd, many more can lie down and really enjoy the fulldome experience. Since our equipment is in the back, lying down in the center is very nice. And since the dome doesn't deflate between groups, they can run two groups an hour. Between HMNS's four systems and Rice's 2 systems, we can have six domes on the road at once, but 3 or 4 in a day is more typical.

      Another good thing about the modular system is that I can check it all as luggage on the plane and not have to pay any shipping fees.

      �pat

      Patricia Reiff, Ph.D.
      President, MTPE Inc. dba e-planetarium
      reiff@...
      855-DISC-DOME x3 [855-347-2366 x3]
      fax: 713-664-0997
      P. O. Box 271344 Houston TX 77277-1344
      http://www.e-planetarium.com
      "a woman-owned small business"
      facebook: Discovery Dome
      twitter: DiscoveryDome
      Skype: eplanetarium

      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Linke, Matthew" <mlinke@...> wrote:
      Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a portable dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your dome/technology?

      Many thanks,

      Matt Linke
      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic