3835Re: Colour spaces

  • Axel Straschnoy
    Jun 6, 2012
      Hello,

      thanks to all for your comments.

      Maybe I was not clear in my first email. We did notice that the dome we are working on has quite different contrast and saturation ratios as our screens (we had not realized about the gamut, which Clement also suggests). Our solution so far is to colour grade the film in calibrated monitors and then develop an LUT for our home dome (we are doing this by testing different calibration images in the dome). If we can find the exact LUT that describes our dome's colour space we can be sure that what we see in our monitors is what will be projected there (granted, with a reduction of gamut and black point).

      The problem we are seeing is that we have also been looking at the film in a 2m wide, single projector, test dome and we have noticed that its colour reproduction is a lot closer to that of our monitors (our big dome is 18m wide and has only two projectors to cover that big area). Therefore my fear is that if I create a dome master suited for a calibrated screen it will look washed and dark in big domes. However, if I create a dome master which looks perfect in our home dome and then someone projects it in a smaller dome, or one with more projectors/lumens, my colors will get a bit radioactive.

      I understand from Tom's email that every planetarium will do some local adjustment but which master should I then provide? The calibrated screen version or the souped up version for big dome or is there such a thing as a standard fulldome colour space I should render to?

      thanks again for your help,

      Axel
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic