      From: fulldome@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fulldome@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Alexander Zaragoza
      Sent: 26 June 2010 11:08
      To: fulldome@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: IPS Conference Alexandria, Egypt

      Dear Harfiyah,

      You definitely have a point there, but, as you know, astronomy is such a
      rich science, and so many people from all around the world have
      contributed to enriching it and making it grow, that it would be
      impossible to mention all names, artifacts and conceptions developed in
      3000 years.

      Our intention was not to suggest that astronomy began with the ancient
      Greek, but we had to constrain time and space within the film, and it
      seemed to us that it has been in the last 3000 years that astronomy
      followed an ascending line in knowledge and inventions. The Arab
      contributions are of course extremely important and appreciated in the
      development of the science, as it would not have been possible without
      them. In fact, these contributions are included in the script of the
      program ¨Astronomy - 3 000 Years of Stargazing¨ commencing with "During
      this period, the ancient Babylonian, Egyptian and Greek astronomical
      legacies were kept alive by Arabic cultures, which preserved and refined
      such artifacts as the Astrolabe."

      We didn't pretend to focus academically in the history of astronomy, we
      simply tried to popularize this science, especially with developments
      from Galileo and Newton to the most recent inventions (this period
      covers more than 3/4 of the running time of the film) while also
      enticing children and youngsters to understand and get enthusiastic
      about the state of the art earth- and space based telescopes, the
      current knowledge of astronomy and future challenges. Our intention is
      to encourage them to go stargazing...

      In any case, thanks so much for your comments. We really appreciate your
      points. These days, in Alexandria, at the IPS 2010 we will celebrate the
      city as the cradle of astronomy; it is an honor and a pleasure to get to
      know more about the Arab contributions to this science we all love so much.

      All the best,
      Alexander Zaragoza
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic