Re: Buckwheat ground cover

  • violalvr49
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hello--- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jacek Markowski" <jackommm@...> wrote:

      > This year I have sown some buckwheat in the fallow which wasnt plowed
      > for about 10 years. It was mostly high and dense nettle and some
      > grass too. I cut the weeds shortly and rake off on the side. Then on
      > one half of the field I broadcasted soaked buckwheat directly on the
      > ground and then pressed it in with my feet, on the other half I raked
      > the top soil a little and then broadcasted seeds and again step them
      > in. Then rake back the mulch. The germination was fine (most of the
      > seeds made it), though it was quite rainy at that time. But then I
      > realized that the buckwheat cant compete with nettle growing back. I
      > cut the tops of the nettle twice to give the support to buckwheat,
      > but then I let it be, and the nettle finaly overshadowed buckwhaet.
      > It did flowered but the seed are small and tall plants quite rare. I
      > didnt notice any differece beetween the two halfs, allthough
      > buckwheat sown in the grass grew much better and even surpressed
      > grass - giving me hope for small harverst. :) I wouldnt sow it into
      > leafy weeds or maybe very densly.
      >
      > After all I have to admit we wont lack nettle tea this winter :)
      >

      > greetings Jacek
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "earthworks111" <earthworks2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello to all,
      > >
      > > We are making plans for next spring. What we are thinking about
      > > doing is waiting until the grass and weeds in a portion of the vineyard get 6 - 8" high then sowing buckwheat into it. Then waiting a week or two and mowing it at the highest setting on the mower to act as a mulch on top of the Buckwheat. What do you folks think?
      > >
      > > I very much appreciate all of the information that you all share in
      > > this group. It's great to hear from all of you professionals in India
      > > being so concerned with caring for our incredible planet.
      > >
      > > Thank you all very much.
      > >
      > > David zone 5

      Hello I read your post and I know nettle. Buckwheat canft really compete with nettle so I suggest sheet mulch over the areas you want to plant other thingsc.. are you opposed to using cardboard and straw? That will supress the nettle and allow you to plant buckwheat.Another suggestion is to plant winter rye or another strong grain in the fall after you cut the nettle back. It may outcompete with the nettle and smother it. Then you will have a grain base in which you can implement classic no-till. Sam