Fwd: Fw: Conservation Agriculture as a possible option for tribal communities in Orissa, India

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: vidhyadas <vidhyadas@...>
      Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM
      Subject: Fw: Conservation Agriculture as a possible option for tribal
      communities in Orissa, India
      To: A DAS <achyutdas@...>, Ramesh Agrawal <
      ramesh.agrawal@...>, Ramesh Ganeriwal <rameshganeriwal@...>,
      Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

      This is an interesting List serve on Conservation Agriculture by FAO. I am
      just forwarding my posting on it, which has got a some good responses. I
      would also really appreciate your feed backs on it. Ofcourse most of
      conservations agriculture till date is chemical and herbicide based. But, it
      has a lot of advantages over conventional and conventional organic
      agriculture, which is what would eventually make farmers swithc to this more
      eco-friendly approach.

      ANd as i have mentioned in my write-up in India, CA has originated from
      Fukuoka's philosophy of natural farming, so i am sure CA can be developed to
      be completely organic as well.

      Vidhya

      ----- Original Message ----- *From:* Amir Kassam<amirkassam786@...>
      From: vidhyadas <vidhyadas@...>
      Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM
      communities
      To: Amir Kassam <amirkassam786@...>

      Dear Amir,

      I am enclosing a write up about the pros and cons of the tribal slash and
      burn system, and a possible search for alternatives through Conservation
      Agriculture. I would really appreciate if it could be circulated for feed
      back and response in this network.

      I am really keen to know of experiences with swidden areas and their
      adaptation of CA methods, which is what we are trying in South Orissa, which
      is a completely tribal region.

      Vidhya

      *Vidhya Das,*

      *Agragamee.*
      *e-mail: vidhyadas@...*
      the one-line message: �SUBSCRIBE CA-CoP-L� in the message part without any
      further text such a name, address, etc.

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
        Dear Friends,
        Thank you very much for this note and report.Actually all problems of
        weeds,insects and deficiency of nutrients is directly related with tilling.
        Zero tillage, .returning of crop residues, and rotation of leguminous crops
        is sufficient.Main effect of tilling is 'under ground water' which is
        responsible of rain is vanishing.Chemical fertilizers,insecticides and weed
        killers are useless in conservative agriculture. Organic matter is useful
        but compost making is useless .Returning of all farm residues to field as
        soon as possible is O.K. Farming of tribals of
        Raigadda Urisa still better than Modern scientific agriculture.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

        > Dear All ,
        >
        > Vindhya Das of agragamee.org has attached a write up about the pros and
        > cons of the tribal slash and burn system, and a possible search for
        > alternatives through Conservation Agriculture option for tribal communities
        > in Orissa, India. The concept of conservation agriculture is gaining
        > popularity all over the world.
        >
        > The article has been forwarded by Raju Titus to AgriConcern. In her view
        > ��� Of-course most of conservations agriculture till date is chemical and
        > herbicide based. But, it has a lot of advantages over conventional and
        > conventional organic agriculture, which is what would eventually make
        > farmers switch to this more eco-friendly approach. In India, Conservation
        > Agriculture has originated from Fukuoka's philosophy of natural farming, so
        > I am sure Conservation Agriculture can be developed to be completely organic
        > as well�� .
        >
        > I also feel to share the "New Delhi Declaration on Conservation
        > Agriculture" held in New Delhi on 4-7th February 2009. Please visti below
        > mentioned URL:
        >

        > http://conservationag.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/the-new-delhi-declaration-on-conservation-agriculture/
        >
        > Thanks and looking for you comments.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Gyaneshwar Singh
        > Moderator-AgriConcern
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > AgriConcern is hosted by Gorakhpur Environmental Action Group.Yahoo! Groups
        > Links

      • Suraj Kumar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
          Somewhere I remember reading FAO has 'key people' from Monsanto. And
          did you know that even Monsanto is trying to do "No till" agriculture?
          Of course, they really don't till but they kill everything except
          Monsanto Food Plants(TM). The GMO is capable of sucking the soil dry
          for better yields... and of course, there is nothing called Free
          Lunch.

          On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Raju Titus<rajuktitus@...> wrote:
          > Dear Friends,
          > Thank you very much for this note and report.Actually all problems of
          > weeds,insects and deficiency of nutrients is directly related with tilling.
          > Zero tillage, .returning of crop residues, and rotation of leguminous crops
          > is sufficient.Main effect of tilling is 'under ground water' which is
          > responsible of rain is vanishing.Chemical fertilizers,insecticides and weed
          > killers are useless in conservative agriculture. Organic matter is useful
          > but compost making is useless .Returning of all farm residues to field as
          > soon as possible is O.K. Farming  of tribals of
          > Raigadda Urisa still better than Modern scientific agriculture.
          > Thanks
          > Raju
          >

          > On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Dear All ,
          >>
          >> Vindhya Das of agragamee.org has attached a write up about the pros and
          >> cons of the tribal slash and burn system, and a possible search for
          >> alternatives through Conservation Agriculture option for tribal communities
          >> in Orissa, India. The concept of conservation agriculture is gaining
          >> popularity all over the world.
          >>
          >> The article has been forwarded by Raju Titus to AgriConcern. In her view
          >> “ Of-course most of conservations agriculture till date is chemical and
          >> herbicide based. But, it has a lot of advantages over conventional and
          >> conventional organic agriculture, which is what would eventually make
          >> farmers switch to this more eco-friendly approach. In India, Conservation
          >> Agriculture has originated from Fukuoka's philosophy of natural farming, so
          >> I am sure Conservation Agriculture can be developed to be completely organic
          >> as well�€ .
          >>
          >> I also feel to share the "New Delhi Declaration on Conservation
          >> Agriculture" held in New Delhi on 4-7th February 2009. Please visti below
          >> mentioned URL:
          >>

          >> http://conservationag.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/the-new-delhi-declaration-on-conservation-agriculture/
          >>
          >> Thanks and looking for you comments.
          >>
          >> Regards
          >>
          >> Gyaneshwar Singh
          >> Moderator-AgriConcern
          >>

          >> ------------------------------------
          >>
          >> AgriConcern is hosted by Gorakhpur Environmental Action Group.Yahoo! Groups
          >> Links

          "The Greatest Shortcoming of the Human Race is
          our Inability to Understand the Exponential Function"
          Dr. Albert Bartlett
        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2009
            Dear Suraj,
            This is true not only Monsanto but many industrialist now coming close to
            "no Till conservative agriculture"
            due to Bio Fuel.They are growing no till crops with many chemicals including
            herbicide.Climate bill of America is based on this.They are saying Bio Fuel
            is clean energy and is an alternative of fossil fuel and No-Till is
            sequestering carbon and stopping runoff.This happening in big farms of
            thousands of acres.
            This is as our Govt. growing trees for wood business and many organic
            farmers using Tractors and electric pumps.
            But many conservative farmers started planting in crop residues and using
            cover crops and counting colonies of Earth worms.They are reducing use of
            chemicals.Drought and loss of fertility is directly related with tilling.
            As per *Fukuoka *there is no need of any weed killer and fertilizer.De
            nitrification is due to chemical fertilizers.
            80% nitrogen of soil escape from soil. Conservative farmers are not aware of
            this fact.No till organic farmers are doing well in America.
            But some thing is better than nothing.
            Thanks
            Raju