Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: colorado beetle

  • Andre Abrahami
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
      > 2.Lexmi, the link doesnt seem to be working,

      Here's the good link :
      http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/potatobeetle.html
    • MKTurner7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
        I don't know if it would work with potato beetles on potato (I've used hand
        picking to keep them out of my potato patch), but I've found that spraying
        seaweed emulsion on plants as a foliar fertilizer often helps them to rev
        up their chemical defenses and make them less attractive to pests. Its
        been very effective with peach, plum, apple, and cherry, and somewhat
        effective with pole beans against Japanese beetle. You might give it a shot. I
        suspect potato beetle larvae are distasteful to birds. They have a bright
        red coloration (usually a sign of unpalatability) and feed on a plant loaded
        with alkaloids.
        **************Dell Summer Savings: Cool Deals on Popular Laptops – Shop
        Now!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222696924x1201468348/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D1)

      • berinerturk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
          Take some milk and spread it around your potato plants. Do this midday when the sun is hot. They hate the smell of sour milk and hurry away.
          If your patch is too big to go around with a bucket of milk, Neem sprays are the best solution.
          And thank you Inci for "dill" info: I will try it! (And hello...)
          Berin Erturk

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jacek Markowski" <jackommm@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone !
          > Despite my efforts of picking up the adults and eggs, my potatoes
          > became a tasty meal for colorado beetles (mostly larves).
          > Any idea of natural, quick and quite effective way of controlling them? (except using the birds)
          > Thanks
          > Jacek

        • Jacek Markowski
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
            Hello dear friends.
            Report from colorado beetle battle.
            I tried the chilli mix spray, and wormwood spray(localy recomended). Didn't seem to make great impression on the beetles.
            Reasons - at that stage they were quite numurous, and probably very hungry. Didnt care about taste I guess, enjoying spicy and bitter meal !

            The losses in some cases were significant. Couple of the plants were 90% eaten so we dig out the potatoes, and there was enough for a meal for two :).

            We thought we needed sth more drastic, so we picked them up twice with the intetion of making colorado beetle shake, which we didnt make yet. The traditional Polish techinque ;) helped quite a lot !!! HAlleluya !!

            Then I sow a lovely picture, for the first time. One cute bug was sucking out the colorado beetle larve by a little "straw" he poked in it.
            Nature keeps the balance??

            So thanks all for help.
            I will keep informed from the front
            jacek
          • Nicholas Pierotti
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
              Ducks and Chickens did the trick for me, plus I got free eggs.

              And they also eat snails, which were a plague on my garden.