cooperative fukuoka farming.

  • marinacity@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      I am looking for people to join me in trying the
      fukuoka method on a large scale.What I mean is that a group of
      atleast 10 people should join together and try this method of farming
      on 100 acres collectively.Since it will not be farming alone but
      creating an alternative lifestyle itself it needs people who are
      dedicated on a long term basis. Since I already have a farm in India
      in TamilNadu I will be too happy if I can network with someone from
      my state.I am open to alternative suggestions too.

      Murali
    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        Hello Murali, I know from the Other India Press edition of the One Straw
        Revolution that The Friends Rural Centre, Rusalia, Hoshangabad District,
        Madhya Pradesh, are using Fukuoka inspired agriculture in an Indian setting
        (from the forward by Partap Aggarwal); however, I know also how different
        the weather is between your two states from experience and perhaps the cross
        over would be limited. I'm sure there must be an Indian association because
        I know in what high regard Fukuoka is held in your country and the especial
        relevance his methods have for the non-industrialised, rural areas of India
        (ie most of India). I am just beginning my own small farm here in France and
        your idea of a collective is interesting, perhaps in this electronic age it
        would also be possible to have an electronic collective supporting farmers
        newly inspired by Fukuoka. Such support groups can be very useful in
        creating alternative thinking, even if your climate, culture, soil etc are
        different.

        But let us know how your getting on with establishing your farm along
        Fukuoka lines and if there are others in Tamil Nadu of similar ideas. Also
        let me know where about you are as I have friends in Coimbatore and have
        travelled widely in your very beautiful state.

        Souscayrous

          I am looking for people to join me in trying the
          fukuoka method on a large scale.What I mean is that a group of
          atleast 10 people should join together and try this method of farming
          on 100 acres collectively.Since it will not be farming alone but
          creating an alternative lifestyle itself it needs people who are
          dedicated on a long term basis. Since I already have a farm in India
          in TamilNadu I will be too happy if I can network with someone from
          my state.I am open to alternative suggestions too.

          Murali

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Any large-scale application of natural farming is to be applauded. The philosophy needs to be tested in as many regions and microclimates as possible, and cybertechnology can monitor the results and share knowledge as it develops. But, like Thoreau, I have "faith in a seed"; I want to see the volume and quality of seed produced by these natural methods. Organic farmers (are they not our brothers rather than our foes?) like Johnny's, Abundant Life Seed Foundation, The Cook's Garden, Seeds of Change, J.L. Hudson, Bountiful Gardens, Chase's, Redwood City Seed Co, Chase's, and others proudly offer for sale seeds grown by organic methods. Yet, so far as I know, one cannot buy seeds grown by natural methods; there is not even one supplier using these methods.

          Let us seriously ask the question, is there any principle in the natural farming philosophy that precludes selling naturally produced seeds on the market (whether local, regional, national, or international?)

          If a large natural farm of 100 acres or more were to spring up, would it not produce a cornucopia of seeds? Must the seeds all be allowed to reenter the same soil, or is it allowable to place them on a "market" of some kind. What, precisely, happens to the concept of market in the context of natural farming? Or, more broadly, what happens to the concept of physically sharing seeds--even just giving them away? Would there be anything wrong with abundant natural farms advertising in "high-profile" publications that they have packets of naturally produced seeds for sale or sample packets to give away, or bundles or seeds for free distribution to the needy? Could we, should we, have a regional, national, international, post-national global network of natural farmers selling or giving away naturally produced seeds on a large scale?