Re: [fukuoka_farming] colorado beetle PLUS Snails

  • N. J. Pierotti
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      Chickens and Ducks always worked for me. Ducks will also eliminate
      snails from your gardens.

      On Jun 30, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Frank McAvinchey wrote:

      > Jacek,
      > When you find out, let me know also please. I'm not having problems
      > right
      > now, but...
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Frank
      >
      > On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Jacek Markowski
      > <jackommm@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Everyone !
      > > Despite my efforts of picking up the adults and eggs, my potatoes
      > > became a tasty meal for colorado beetles (mostly larves).
      > > Any idea of natural, quick and quite effective way of controlling
      > them?
      > > (except using the birds)
      > > Thanks
      > > Jacek

    • lexmi sree
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Jacek,

        I got the chance to read this site http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/potatobeetle.html.
        I found some useful information about potatobettle and way to control it.
        Hope this information might useful for you.

        Regards,
        Lexmisree BR

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
          Thank you everyone for the support in these difficult moments :)

          1.Nicolas, my chickens are still too small to jump that high and hit the target precisely. I could borrow some big birds from my neighboures, but they easly might get out of control and run away, and soon be eaten by foxes (black scenario).

          2.Lexmi, the link doesnt seem to be working, or it's my bad connection
          could you write us roughly what was that article about? thanks

          3.Andre, I am deffinetely going to try your mixture. It appeals to me alot.

          4.Inci, Unfortunately most of the dill from spuds was taken by my wife to make lovely gourkins, just before getting your post. Now I the gourkins are almost ready :D

          Greetings

          jacek

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, lexmi sree <lexmisreebr@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jacek,
          >
          > I got the chance to read this site http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/potatobeetle.html.
          > I found some useful information about potatobettle and way to control it.
          > Hope this information might useful for you.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Lexmisree BR

        • Andre Abrahami
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
            > 2.Lexmi, the link doesnt seem to be working,

            Here's the good link :
            http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/potatobeetle.html
          • MKTurner7@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2009
              I don't know if it would work with potato beetles on potato (I've used hand
              picking to keep them out of my potato patch), but I've found that spraying
              seaweed emulsion on plants as a foliar fertilizer often helps them to rev
              up their chemical defenses and make them less attractive to pests. Its
              been very effective with peach, plum, apple, and cherry, and somewhat
              effective with pole beans against Japanese beetle. You might give it a shot. I
              suspect potato beetle larvae are distasteful to birds. They have a bright
              red coloration (usually a sign of unpalatability) and feed on a plant loaded
              with alkaloids.
              **************Dell Summer Savings: Cool Deals on Popular Laptops – Shop
              Now!
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222696924x1201468348/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D1)

            • berinerturk
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
                Take some milk and spread it around your potato plants. Do this midday when the sun is hot. They hate the smell of sour milk and hurry away.
                If your patch is too big to go around with a bucket of milk, Neem sprays are the best solution.
                And thank you Inci for "dill" info: I will try it! (And hello...)
                Berin Erturk

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jacek Markowski" <jackommm@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone !
                > Despite my efforts of picking up the adults and eggs, my potatoes
                > became a tasty meal for colorado beetles (mostly larves).
                > Any idea of natural, quick and quite effective way of controlling them? (except using the birds)
                > Thanks
                > Jacek

              • Jacek Markowski
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                  Hello dear friends.
                  Report from colorado beetle battle.
                  I tried the chilli mix spray, and wormwood spray(localy recomended). Didn't seem to make great impression on the beetles.
                  Reasons - at that stage they were quite numurous, and probably very hungry. Didnt care about taste I guess, enjoying spicy and bitter meal !

                  The losses in some cases were significant. Couple of the plants were 90% eaten so we dig out the potatoes, and there was enough for a meal for two :).

                  We thought we needed sth more drastic, so we picked them up twice with the intetion of making colorado beetle shake, which we didnt make yet. The traditional Polish techinque ;) helped quite a lot !!! HAlleluya !!

                  Then I sow a lovely picture, for the first time. One cute bug was sucking out the colorado beetle larve by a little "straw" he poked in it.
                  Nature keeps the balance??

                  So thanks all for help.
                  I will keep informed from the front
                  jacek
                • Nicholas Pierotti
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10, 2009
                    Ducks and Chickens did the trick for me, plus I got free eggs.

                    And they also eat snails, which were a plague on my garden.