Re: [fukuoka_farming] New worl order and the massive metods of production

  • Suraj Kumar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2009
      Hi Comecoagulos,

      Is "Le Monde selon Monsanto" the same as "The World according to
      Monsanto"? I watched it and its pretty enlightening to know Monsanto's
      ways of controlling the World's foods. As Mr.Kissinger once said
      "Control a nation's oil supply and you control the country's
      government, control their food and you control the country's
      population".

      Zeitgeist is an awesome movie too. But is of little significance to
      this mailing list, I think. Though I know what you're getting at... ;)

      One really feels powerless in front of corporations like Monsanto.
      However, most tend to underestimate modern society's reliance on
      fossil fuels a bit too much. That's where the System's strength has
      been thus far ... and that's where its demise is going to be.

      Just take modern Industrially produced food : needs cheap energy and
      cheap fossil fuel based chemicals (from
      fertilizer/pesticides/mechanised farming to the just-in-time economic
      model aimed at high efficiency using transportation powered by cheap
      fuel). Today, fish caught in Argentina is filleted and canned in China
      and comes to the US to be sold at the Mal Warts - and at every step of
      this chain, there is dependence on (what has been thus far) cheap
      energy.

      When energy prices soar, the free market far from coming up with an
      effective solution called "Alternative Energy" will send a lot of
      these connecting elements bankrupt allowing only those who can afford
      to encourage the alternative.

      This method of food production won't last long post peaking of world
      oil production - whether peak oil has already happened (World oil
      production has stayed flat since 2005 and prices rallied until last
      year's historic crash from $147/bbl) or whether its going to happen in
      10 years... this can't go on forever. Ultimately, a large beast like
      Monsanto might come down to it's knees much like the woolly mammoth...
      whose thick fur allowed it to survive and rule the planet during the
      ice age... was the cause of the mammoth's extinction when the planet
      started warming. Strength is Weakness.

      Related inspiring movies:
      1. "Global Gardener" - 4 series documentary by Bill Mollison, the
      founder of Permaculture principles and practices.
      2. "The power of community" - how Cuba had to produce food locally
      after the soviet collapsed and it had huge oil supply issues and trade
      embargos imposed by the USA (and pro-USA nations). Interestingly, the
      sector that got affected as soon as Cuba's oil supplies were affected
      was the Agriculture sector.

      ... Talking about Monsanto, did you know about the "Doomsday" Seed
      Vault? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault
      (Monsanto, Du Pont, Standard Oil Company and a lot of 'related' others
      funded this vault).

      Cheers,

      -Suraj

      --
      "The Greatest Shortcoming of the Human Race is
      our Inability to Understand the Exponential Function"