Re: [fukuoka_farming] Use of seaweed & fish in natural farming...

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
      If one could use ponds, much like Sepp Holzer has, to grow algae and fish on
      your land, you could then use that resource to add to the soils, thereby
      increasing the fertility of the soil. I've done some research into the
      notion of growing duckweed as a source of food for livestock and for people,
      the results are pretty amazing, and the nutrition derived from this smallest
      of flowering plants is incredible. Duck grows and multiplies at an
      astounding rate, usually much higher than most field-grown crops. Perhaps
      this could be intensively grown and added as a soil enriching agent?
      Frank

      On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM, mcavincheyfrank <fmcavin@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > I am wondering whether any of you have experience with using seaweeds, such
      > as kelp, and fish, to help build fertility in your soils?
      >
      > Frank

    • grannis04
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
        To Frank and all,

        I have used seaweed gathered at the high water line to add to the soil. If it is gathered after a heavy rain some salt is washed out. I have used it as a mulch for potatoes with good results. Plants do respond to seaweed but I would be concerned with over use because of the salt accumulation in the soil. There is a seaweed gardening culture historically in Newfoundland, Canada. Steve G.