No-Till

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2009
      Advantages of No-Till Explained in Amherst

      Updated: June 10, 2009 05:50 AM
      Advantages of No-Till Explained in Amherst

      Working less and producing more; a solid business model that brought
      central Nebraska farmers to Amherst Wednesday.
      The No-Till on the Plains Whirlwind Expo came to town where
      cultivators of the earth learn how to improve their efficiency in the
      fields.
      Organizers used soil beds and samples to show what conditions
      plants grow best in.
      "We'd go out and we'd run our hands through the soil and we'd look
      at it and squeeze it and smell it and say 'Oh that's a perfect seed
      bed.' But yet, if we thought like a plant, we can't go out in the
      prairie and do that. Yet, plants grow all the time without disturbing
      that soil," explained Brian Lindley.
      Lindley said many farmers would be surprised to learn how vastly
      they can improve their yields by implementing newer no-till
      techniques.