Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Mr Masanobu Fukuoka

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2002
      Did someone write here a while back that the question of reprints
      or e-books had been sent to Mr. Fukuoka (maybe without a specifically
      suggested appropriate literary heir / executor, such as the Navdanya
      Foundation), & that the writer never knew whether Mr. M.F. had ever
      even received it, as there was no reply? I do not recall if the
      letter was written in Japanese, or which languages Mr. Fukuoka's
      secretary translates. Wu_wei, we are all excited that you are going,
      & happy that you are so well prepared, especially to start with
      knowing the appropriate form of address for Dr. Shiva!

      hyderabadee wrote:

      > I kinda agree with "wu_wei_school" regarding publishing Fukuoka's
      > books; he should be consulted first. Although we can't wait to see
      > his books available more readily, we should pursue this issue only
      > after we find out what he feels about it.
      >
      > -hyderabadee
      >
      > --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., "wu_wei_school" <sarabelum70@H...>
      > wrote:
      > > I don't know about this letter. Although nicely written, it just
      > > seems odd. Although Vandana Shiva has written many books, she
      > > doesn't own a publishing company. Also, why go over Fukuoka's
      > head,
      > > to a third party? It seems that Fukuoka is likely faced with
      > these
      > > questions frequently, especially with all of the traveling he
      > does.
      > > I own all of his books which have been translated into english,
      > and
      > > am planning on seeing how he feels about electronic versions of
      > his
      > > book, at least until a publisher reprints his books. I think
      > these
      > > issues should be addressed to Fukuoka first. Also, since Vandana
      > > Shiva has earned a Ph.D. in quantum physics, it might be more
      > > respectful to address her as Dr. Shiva ;)
      > > Please don't feel as if I am being too harsh, but I want to be
      > > careful not to disrespect these amazing people before I even
      > arrive.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [Image]

    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2002

        hyderabadee wrote:

        > I kinda agree with "wu_wei_school" regarding publishing Fukuoka's
        > books; he should be consulted first. Although we can't wait to see
        > his books available more readily, we should pursue this issue only
        > after we find out what he feels about it.
        >
        > -hyderabadee
        >
        > --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., "wu_wei_school" <sarabelum70@H...>
        > wrote:
        > > I don't know about this letter. Although nicely written, it just
        > > seems odd. Although Vandana Shiva has written many books, she
        > > doesn't own a publishing company. Also, why go over Fukuoka's
        > head,
        > > to a third party? It seems that Fukuoka is likely faced with
        > these
        > > questions frequently, especially with all of the traveling he
        > does.
        > > I own all of his books which have been translated into english,
        > and
        > > am planning on seeing how he feels about electronic versions of
        > his
        > > book, at least until a publisher reprints his books. I think
        > these
        > > issues should be addressed to Fukuoka first. Also, since Vandana
        > > Shiva has earned a Ph.D. in quantum physics, it might be more
        > > respectful to address her as Dr. Shiva ;)
        > > Please don't feel as if I am being too harsh, but I want to be
        > > careful not to disrespect these amazing people before I even
        > arrive.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [Image]

      • jamie
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
          Hello Kristi, I understand your concerns and apologise for any awkwardness
          the email might have caused you.

          I hope on re-reading it will not seem odd, nor disrespectful. It is a
          difficult subject to broach with a person you have never met before, but the
          current circumstance seemed to warrant the effort. I think the general tone
          was respectful, including the use of Ms rather than Dr (indeed, the BBC
          Reith lecture she gave in 2000 refers to her as Vandana Shiva only - see
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/reith_2000/lecture5.stm). I
          don't feel that we are somehow going over Fukuoka's head, especially as the
          intention was to have both you and Dr Shiva speak directly to him concerning
          the status of his books. The fact that several people on this list have made
          efforts to reach Fukuoka-san by email, letter and fax without success, makes
          me feel that the coming oppurtunity is too good to miss. You mention that
          you were intending to speak to Fukuoka about e-copies of his books, a great
          idea, an idea that I hope would be strengthened in the mind of Fukuoka if
          Vandana Shiva also were to bring up the availability of his work.

          I too do not think that Dr Shiva owns a publishing company and it was for
          this reason I gave the contact address for One India Press, I hoped that if
          interested she would feel able to contact his current publisher herself and
          perhaps continue with them if she and her foundation were to gain copyright.
          The copies I have from OIP are perfectly adequate (and relatively
          inexpensive) so I thought if Ms Shiva knew about the indian publisher she
          would not feel the need to reinvent the wheel.

          I don't think you're being too harsh and feel something of the awkwardness
          you express myself, my only excuse is the concern I share with Emilia that
          his family may well wish to bury the books after his death.

          Jamie
          Souscayrous

          > I don't know about this letter. Although nicely written, it just
          > seems odd. Although Vandana Shiva has written many books, she
          > doesn't own a publishing company. Also, why go over Fukuoka's head,
          > to a third party? It seems that Fukuoka is likely faced with these
          > questions frequently, especially with all of the traveling he does.
          > I own all of his books which have been translated into english, and I
          > am planning on seeing how he feels about electronic versions of his
          > book, at least until a publisher reprints his books. I think these
          > issues should be addressed to Fukuoka first. Also, since Vandana
          > Shiva has earned a Ph.D. in quantum physics, it might be more
          > respectful to address her as Dr. Shiva ;)
          > Please don't feel as if I am being too harsh, but I want to be
          > careful not to disrespect these amazing people before I even arrive.

        • wu_wei_school
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
            It sounds as if you do not plan on either witholding or editing the
            letter. If this is the case, it certainly can't be a representation
            of this list unless all agree, and three people have already
            disagreed in some way. I feel quite strongly that I have no right
            negotiating Fukuoka's legacy for him. I am a mere student, this is
            my position. I am sure he has thought quite a bit about what to do
            with his writings, and I hope to learn what he wants. But what good
            does it do for Shiva to contact a publisher who already publishes his
            books? I am sure that Fukuoka has made many personal friendships
            along the way. How could he not, with his charm? If benefactors are
            what you are worried about, how does that help get his books to the
            US? I guess I am not even sure what your goal is. Please don't be
            offended, but since I do not agree with what is said in the letter, I
            do not wish to represent this list. By the way, has the letter been
            sent, even before agreements among the list were made?
          • jamie
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
              Hello again kristi, the email has already been sent I'm afraid, I 'cc'- ed
              the group so everyone was aware of what was going on. But please keep
              reading as I hope I can resolve what I think is a misunderstanding between
              us.

              I thought I was fulfilling the wishes of the list as expressed previously
              regarding the availability of his books in English, the setting up of a
              Fukuoka Foundation or library that would hold the copyright to his books and
              oversee their dissemination. The email requested of me by Emilia seemed to
              be merely pursuing those goals but now concentrated in the actual person of
              Vandana Shiva and her Navdanya Foundation.

              You write:

              > I feel quite strongly that I have no right
              > negotiating Fukuoka's legacy for him.

              I agree. I do not wish, nor do I understand that anyone on this list would
              wish you to negotiate the future of the books on Fukuoka's behalf. With whom
              would you be negotiating? If you could express the concerns of this list
              regarding the books' availability now and in the future to Fukuoka-san
              directly, as has been tried electronically (without reply) by members of
              this group before, then that would be more than enough. If you were to
              express only your interest in e-copies as you mentioned yesterday that is
              similarly useful. I do not want you to feel put upon to act in a way you
              feel inherently wrong. This was never my intention.

              hyderabadee wrote:

              > I kinda agree with "wu_wei_school" regarding publishing Fukuoka's
              > books; he should be consulted first. Although we can't wait to see
              > his books available more readily, we should pursue this issue only
              > after we find out what he feels about it.

              I think this is the only other comment that could be considered negative of
              the email I sent to Dr Shiva and I hope everyone understands that nothing I
              wrote suggested publishing Fukuoka's work without his express permission.
              Hyderabadee, I'm sorry if this was the impression I gave and with kristi's
              worries, I suspect I did not do the job as well as I hoped.

              Who knows what the effect of the email will be? Nothing? Probably. But an
              email is a small thing and it seemed worth the small effort of writing it.

              Jamie
              Souscayrous

              > It sounds as if you do not plan on either witholding or editing the
              > letter. If this is the case, it certainly can't be a representation
              > of this list unless all agree, and three people have already
              > disagreed in some way. I feel quite strongly that I have no right
              > negotiating Fukuoka's legacy for him. I am a mere student, this is
              > my position. I am sure he has thought quite a bit about what to do
              > with his writings, and I hope to learn what he wants. But what good
              > does it do for Shiva to contact a publisher who already publishes his
              > books? I am sure that Fukuoka has made many personal friendships
              > along the way. How could he not, with his charm? If benefactors are
              > what you are worried about, how does that help get his books to the
              > US? I guess I am not even sure what your goal is. Please don't be
              > offended, but since I do not agree with what is said in the letter, I
              > do not wish to represent this list. By the way, has the letter been
              > sent, even before agreements among the list were made?

            • hyderabadee
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2002
                --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., "jamie" <jamie@t...> wrote:

                > hyderabadee wrote:
                >
                > > I kinda agree with "wu_wei_school" regarding publishing Fukuoka's
                > > books; he should be consulted first. Although we can't wait to see
                > > his books available more readily, we should pursue this issue only
                > > after we find out what he feels about it.
                >
                > I think this is the only other comment that could be considered
                negative of
                > the email I sent to Dr Shiva and I hope everyone understands that
                nothing I
                > wrote suggested publishing Fukuoka's work without his express
                permission.
                > Hyderabadee, I'm sorry if this was the impression I gave and with
                kristi's
                > worries, I suspect I did not do the job as well as I hoped.

                I was responding to your:

                =========================
                The reason we wished to bring our concerns to you directly is that it
                was felt that you and your foundation (Navdanya) would be the most
                suitable to hold the copyright and thus ensure Fukuoka's books are
                available to all who might have need of them
                =========================

                I've been following the messages on this group regularly but I'm not
                sure when "we" decided/felt that Navdanya "would be the most suitable
                to hold the copyright" to Fukuoka's books.

                Jamie, I understand your concern and I have no doubts about your good
                intentions. I'm just saying we should consult with MF and see what he
                feels (irrespective of what we feel/decide) about who should hold
                copyrights to his works. It doesn't matter whether Dr. Shiva helps us
                with this issue or Kristi does. Just like many others on this group, I
                would like to see his books readily available to those who appreciate
                his good work.

                -hyderabadee