Re: soil

  • michael hollihn
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 4 7:34 AM
      michael, thanks for the clear vision, one thing i would add to urine
      and humanure in the cycle is the woman's blood from her menses....when
      i lived in the kootenays and gulf islands of bc there were many women
      using a device called a keeper instead of a pad...this contained the
      blood and they would add it to their tea's for their plants

      --
      michael hollihn,
      british columbia,
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 4 9:52 AM
        Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 4 5:42 PM
          Wow! it's the first time i heard of that use for women's mens...

          When i started having mine, the first blood was used to wipe the face as immunity from eruptions...

          The POWER of a WOMAN!!!

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Turner <shawndturner@...> wrote:

          > Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Gary Granada
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 9 6:23 PM
            Hello!

            We are looking for jathropa plantation for bio-diesel project investors here in Mindanao, Philippines.

            Sincerely,

            Gary B. Granada
            Davao City, Philippines
            email: eurosign888@...
            mobile: +639107921524
            Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 3, 2009
              Well, Dieter, maybe you should try the tierra prieta.
              Michael

              r most of the year, there is very
              little biomass production. Even on my level fields, which haven’t
              been plowed for 14 years, the losses of humus due to the high
              temperatures are in some cases greater than what is added due to new
              plant growth. In these cases, the soil is actually impoverished by
              not plowing even when no crop is taken off the field.
            • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                Kyosan
              • Michael Meredith
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Kyosal,

                  How do you know it will not work in dry areas?

                  Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?

                  Michael

                  Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                  to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                  Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                  people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                  system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                  source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                  Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                  in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                  be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                  Kyosan
                • michaeljking2007
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                    If lack of water is the main problem then maybe you could look into using swales to create a better environment for plants and then build on that with seedballs/natural farming:

                    Greening the desert:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

                    Michael

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                    > Kyosal,
                    >
                    > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                    >
                    > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                    >

                    > Michael
                    >

                    > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                    > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                    > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                    > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                    > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                    > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                    > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                    > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                    > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                    >
                    > Kyosan

                  • David Douglas
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                      Hello to all,

                      Would you folks be able to recommend a site that describes producing
                      charcoal for Terra Preta purposes on a small scale?

                      I'm not sure if I would be able to do this here in the Adirondacks due to
                      the
                      strict new burn barrel laws and the amount of smoke that it would give off.
                      However, I would like to learn more about the procedure, in particular how
                      control the burn temperature so that the charcoal isn't overheated.

                      Thank you very much.
                      Best regards,

                      David Douglas
                      Adirondack Mountains
                      NY, US

                      www.artofdaviddouglas.com

                      On 11/4/09, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                      > Kyosal,
                      >
                      > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                      >
                      > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                      >
                      > Michael
                      >
                      > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                      > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                      > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                      > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                      > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                      > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                      > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                      > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                      > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                      >
                      > Kyosan

                    • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                        Michael Meredith wrote:

                        > Kyosal,
                        >
                        > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                        >
                        > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                        >
                        > Michael
                        >
                        > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                        > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                        > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                        > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                        > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                        > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                        > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                        > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                        > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer
                        > owns.
                        >
                        > Kyosan

                        Dear Michael,

                        I hope we do not missunderstand each other too much. I am not against
                        Water Harvesting - it ´s a wonderful idea what everyone should practise
                        however and whereever. Off course it would extend Dieter´s potential for
                        longer time than without, but (I don´t know why there is always a *but*,
                        we have to take it as it is and live and work with it . ;-) ) in a long
                        dry season, like in Portugal, one would be in need of so much water,
                        that the owned land maybe would not be big enough. Everywhere collecting
                        pots, troughs, smaller or bigger lakes... whatever. And the agriculture
                        land will not grow, not just for a good idea. I would like to have it
                        work in a better way...

                        As well, Terra Preta is a very nice, very good and by ancient people
                        long time proofed tool. I will never say nothing against it. I myself
                        are in process of creating Terra Preta. But (Oh Lord! Another "but),
                        I´am living in a region with periodic rain. My rain harvesting this year
                        was absolutely more than succesfull! Thousands of liters in storage and
                        only a very few times in need to use. End of month September, when the
                        first cold and frosty nights came up, I had to let the water from the
                        storages go the nearby creek. Otherwise it would have blast my storage
                        containers.

                        The origin of Terra Preta is different from the climatic situation at my
                        or at Dieter´s location. Dieter´s location is, hmh, let me say: poor. My
                        location tends more too the rich. Off course different to the location
                        where Terra Preta was found. In Amazonian region there is coldness,
                        there are no frosty season like german winter. I am a german livingi
                        Southwest of Germany - latitude of Strassbourg/France. In wintertime
                        soil microbes in my region go to a kind of "sleep", like hedgehogs do.
                        Prücess of Terra Preta will also got to have a winter rest, start again
                        in spring time, depending on how long frosty climatic soil situation
                        will be. It is different from year to year, sometimes from October to
                        May, sometimes November to April - every changing possible. Absolutely
                        NOT the same like in Portugal or whereever in the world.

                        Water is the key for any process of life on this planet. Still our
                        common question is and will be: How to get enough.

                        You know what I mean?

                        In respect, Kyosan
                      • Michael Meredith
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 6, 2009
                          Seems to me that any one in a dry climate would want to do swales, tanks, and charcoal, as the charcoal is permanant, acts to hold onto water, and , further, is a sponge for micro-organisms to hide in. In fact, many sewage plants, and bio-gas units, use charcoal for this very purpose. His organic matter blows away, or cooks off, in the amazon, it washes away, and cooks off. Could be something there(for the old Dieter).

                          Heres some more stuff I am doing...............

                          I finally got the clothing started on the 30 foot tall statue. See some photos here.............

                          .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/meredith848/?albumview=slideshow.

                          Then..... bigsculpture.org...., which explains it

                          Michael

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 24, 2010
                            I didnt see any photos of what it looked like several years later, so feel that
                            I wasted my time.
                            Michael

                            > Please go through this video.
                            >
                            > http://www.archive org/details/ MasanobuFukuoka- ArnissaGreece- 1998
                            >
                            > fukuoka in video, afforestation using seed balls.
                          • Michael Meredith
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                              Greece was filled with large trees at the time of Plato, then they cut to burn,
                              and brought in the sheep....

                              Hello Jason
                              I believe I have answered this question before (on the results of the seeding
                              project - with Fukuoka-San' s participation) .

                              The volunteers had an agreement with the national government that they would
                              safeguard the area - they were to pay the herders to keep the goats and sheep
                              away from the area.

                              A few weeks after the area was seeded, the government changed hands from one
                              party to the other; the herders were not paid, and as soon as the seed balls
                              sprouted and the area turned green, the goats and sheep had a field day -
                              nothing was left.

                              I am just passing along what Panos told me - I have not been at the seeding
                              project.

                              Kostas
                            • Jean Villafuerte
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                                What a waste!
                                jean
                                http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                                http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                                http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                                http://www.tcformoc.com/
                                http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                                visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  To all, Here's a great show from David Suzuki. Soil microbes and no till
                                  discussed.

                                  http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bottomline_20110127_43608.mp3

                                • Jason Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 4, 2011
                                    Dear all,

                                    Thank you very much Steve Grannis for these informative radio shows hosted
                                    by David Suzuki,
                                    (for those who don't know:) Japanese-Canadian internationally famous (in the
                                    'West') leading figure, in his very very active life in ecological
                                    sustainability (activist), and former professor of genetic science,

                                    –i found the full podcasts page at:
                                    -> feed://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/bottomline.xml
                                    from: -> http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent#bottomline

                                    On Soils, the 4 segments (A & B of each) of the 2 whole programs, make IMHO
                                    worthwhile information filled, myth-busting and convention–transcending
                                    programs, with some real points of entertainment value also.
                                    (For one of several examples:
                                    Joel Salatin, USA, has a great sense of humour,
                                    rather loose in scholarly terms while very funny, witty and engaging,
                                    –no wonder he's an international speaker–
                                    not always so scholarly accurate (correct, although mostly so) and
                                    not always so strictly sustainable as our legend late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                                    sensei,
                                    but very helpful entertaining,
                                    engaging–for–otherwise–uninterested–or–skeptical–people, and informative
                                    speaker, all the same, and
                                    in the same direction, polyculture,
                                    alike to, "mimicking" of, nature, farming
                                    as our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu accomplished, in actual nature –in terms
                                    of at once both philosophical awareness of himself as nature, part thereof, and
                                    full farming practice ie. –fully accomplished nature farming–
                                    ie. –i mean, Joel Salatin evidently, taking himself and all us listeners to him,
                                    in the direction towards nature, via towards our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka
                                    Masanobu ... .
                                    (in this radio program with David Suzuki and in his farming talks
                                    internationally –he spoke across parts of Australia recently for example, eg.
                                    see:
                                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bushtelegraph/stories/2010/3077380.htm , and:
                                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/2910011.htm )
                                    My Reference: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
                                    )

                                    Thanks again,
                                    Biggest best wishes to all, all life, all persons, all human persons and
                                    non-human persons.
                                    -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3081310.htm

                                    Jason Stewart
                                    —busy in practice in the nature farm, region:far east gippsland, state:
                                    Victoria, Oz
                                    (vernacular for so called Australia).