Re: soil

  • Michael Meredith
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 3 4:58 AM
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Michael Meredith <meredith848@...>
      To: michael meredith <meredith848@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:56:57 AM
      Subject: soil

      ON CREATING ECOSYSTEMS, and ELIMINATING HUNGER

      By Michael Meredith

      There is a lot that can be said about eliminating hunger, but the basics, of course, are food production. The present chemically driven agro-business model is unsustainable, and causes disease. Fortunately, many simple methods are available for increasing food production.
      The root of agriculture, pardon the pun, is the roots. The roots of the plants need nutrition, and lots of valuable animal and vegetable materials are materials thrown away.
      Composting, mulching (also known as sheet composting), and bio-gas (which is a form of anaerobic composting), as well as fermentation (which produces alchohol as a by-product), are all very good methods of recycling unused organic materials to the soil. Often these products can be cycled through animals, and this can become a regular merry-go- round of recycling.
      A properly built pit latrine, or a composting toilet, can eliminate disease, and fertilize crops, as very few pathogens will survive the high temperatures of the composting, or being buried deep in the ground. It is also worth noting that many people believe that the squatting position reduces digestive and reproductive tract diseases. They point to many facts, such as the virtual absence of such diseases prior to the introduction of the porcelain throne, and the fact that African-American males have the highest rate of prostate cancer in the word, meanwhile, in Africa, it is virtually non-existant.
      Many crops can be grown to increase the fertility of the soil. When the Americans and Canadians arrived in the Great Plains in the mid 1800’s, they found deep, rich topsoil going down six feet (they must have danced some jigs over that one). Many people have advocated certain plants as a way to increase fertility. These are often also crop plants with multiple uses.
      The Indians in the Amazon basin built up soil by incorporating urine soaked charcoal into it. The tierra prieta, as it is called, has not washed away as most tropical soils do. This is a good way to recycle urine, and trace minerals can also be added to the blend. Drinking urine has a long history in medicine, it is claimed to cure many diseases, and is quite safe to drink, so don’t worry about putting it in your garden.
      Growing perennial vegetables, bushes, and trees, can reduce labor and other inputs. Most intriguingly, establishing forest gardens can also provide nice places to live, with ornamental, food producing plants and trees all around, creating oxygen, flowers, and all the other things that human persons need and enjoy. It seems that we now have 30% less oxygen in the air than 200 years ago, leading to many diseases. That is one reason why deep breathing can cure disease, and house plants are considered to be beneficial.
      Simple hole/hill farming methods will reduce labor and fertilizer inputs, as only a tiny fraction of the land area needs to be tilled and watered. The melons and squashes, which are most often grown this way, are some of the most nutritious crops available. They can sprawl ten meters or more, covering rocks, bushes, and even houses! The spacing of the holes means that bushes and trees can also be planted in the holes, and do their growing meanwhile many years of squashes are harvested. Moving latrines around is way to dig the garden, and dispose of waste at the same time. The shape of the hole is important, as a water collection area should be left at the surface to retain water. In cross section, we have a funnel, diverting nutrients and water to the plants roots, and holding moisture in the organic sponge. This is a miniature version of the swales, which are often constructed to hold back surface water, and divert it into the ground. Some of these
      methods will turn a desert area into an oasis.
      Foliar sprays are often used to control insects and disease, as well as to fertilize crops. Fogging can be an effective way to water plants, so spraying then becomes a multi-functional system. Some people claim great results by playing music while they spray (study the sonic bloom method, and read “The Secret Lives of Plants”).
      There has been considerable research done with salt tolerant plants, which can be grown in saline marsh areas. With more research, seawater could be pumped into the Sahara desert, and enormous new farms would be created.
      Although I have surely missed your favorite topic in this short summary, I feel that I would be remiss in not saying a few things about ocean agriculture before winding up (or down, as the case may be).
      The best plan that I have ever seen, which gets past the pollution, and poor nutrition of conventional fish farming, is a combination unit.
      The deep ocean waters are nutrient laden. This creates many fine many fishing areas in the world, such as off the coast of Chile. The deep waters hit a steep continental shelf, and up-well, feeding ocean plankton, which feeds the old food chain. By pumping water from the depths, and into a coral lagoon, which has been surrounded by nets to keep out predators, a lively fish farm can be created.
      The dual- purpose part comes in when the difference in temperature of the deep and surface waters is used to spin turbines, and to create solid fuels from the energy. These OTEC plants have been thoroughly researched, but never, as far as I know, in the dual purpose, and therefore more economic, form presented here.
      Of course there is also wave energy, solar energy, orgone energy, and others out the kazoo, but this is an introduction to agricultural research, so you’re going to have to study all that other neat stuff by yourself.
    • Steve Grannis
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 3 2:50 PM
        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 3 8:18 PM
          I use urine for my herbs....
          I primarily use it in bottom watering pots....

          my rosemary is so potent it makes ya dizzy if you get too close lol
          its especially good for the drier herbs like rosemary and sage.

          I scoop it straight from a normal toliet (what ever ratio that turns out to be),
          my plants are all dark dark green that I feed this way...

          I'm also in the process of composing
          dog poo with dried grass....
          having a problem getting the moisture right,
          and mixed in properly....

          I suspect that higher fiber diets would produce better results in humans..
        • michael hollihn
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 4 7:34 AM
            michael, thanks for the clear vision, one thing i would add to urine
            and humanure in the cycle is the woman's blood from her menses....when
            i lived in the kootenays and gulf islands of bc there were many women
            using a device called a keeper instead of a pad...this contained the
            blood and they would add it to their tea's for their plants

            --
            michael hollihn,
            british columbia,
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 4 9:52 AM
              Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 4 5:42 PM
                Wow! it's the first time i heard of that use for women's mens...

                When i started having mine, the first blood was used to wipe the face as immunity from eruptions...

                The POWER of a WOMAN!!!

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Turner <shawndturner@...> wrote:

                > Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Gary Granada
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 9 6:23 PM
                  Hello!

                  We are looking for jathropa plantation for bio-diesel project investors here in Mindanao, Philippines.

                  Sincerely,

                  Gary B. Granada
                  Davao City, Philippines
                  email: eurosign888@...
                  mobile: +639107921524
                  Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Well, Dieter, maybe you should try the tierra prieta.
                    Michael

                    r most of the year, there is very
                    little biomass production. Even on my level fields, which haven’t
                    been plowed for 14 years, the losses of humus due to the high
                    temperatures are in some cases greater than what is added due to new
                    plant growth. In these cases, the soil is actually impoverished by
                    not plowing even when no crop is taken off the field.
                  • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                      Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                      to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                      Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                      people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                      system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                      source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                      Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                      in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                      be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                      Kyosan
                    • Michael Meredith
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Kyosal,

                        How do you know it will not work in dry areas?

                        Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?

                        Michael

                        Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                        to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                        Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                        people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                        system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                        source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                        Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                        in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                        be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                        Kyosan
                      • michaeljking2007
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                          If lack of water is the main problem then maybe you could look into using swales to create a better environment for plants and then build on that with seedballs/natural farming:

                          Greening the desert:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

                          Michael

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                          > Kyosal,
                          >
                          > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                          >
                          > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                          >

                          > Michael
                          >

                          > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                          > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                          > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                          > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                          > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                          > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                          > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                          > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                          > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                          >
                          > Kyosan

                        • David Douglas
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                            Hello to all,

                            Would you folks be able to recommend a site that describes producing
                            charcoal for Terra Preta purposes on a small scale?

                            I'm not sure if I would be able to do this here in the Adirondacks due to
                            the
                            strict new burn barrel laws and the amount of smoke that it would give off.
                            However, I would like to learn more about the procedure, in particular how
                            control the burn temperature so that the charcoal isn't overheated.

                            Thank you very much.
                            Best regards,

                            David Douglas
                            Adirondack Mountains
                            NY, US

                            www.artofdaviddouglas.com

                            On 11/4/09, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                            > Kyosal,
                            >
                            > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                            >
                            > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                            >
                            > Michael
                            >
                            > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                            > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                            > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                            > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                            > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                            > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                            > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                            > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                            > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                            >
                            > Kyosan

                          • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                              Michael Meredith wrote:

                              > Kyosal,
                              >
                              > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                              >
                              > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                              >
                              > Michael
                              >
                              > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                              > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                              > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                              > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                              > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                              > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                              > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                              > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                              > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer
                              > owns.
                              >
                              > Kyosan

                              Dear Michael,

                              I hope we do not missunderstand each other too much. I am not against
                              Water Harvesting - it ´s a wonderful idea what everyone should practise
                              however and whereever. Off course it would extend Dieter´s potential for
                              longer time than without, but (I don´t know why there is always a *but*,
                              we have to take it as it is and live and work with it . ;-) ) in a long
                              dry season, like in Portugal, one would be in need of so much water,
                              that the owned land maybe would not be big enough. Everywhere collecting
                              pots, troughs, smaller or bigger lakes... whatever. And the agriculture
                              land will not grow, not just for a good idea. I would like to have it
                              work in a better way...

                              As well, Terra Preta is a very nice, very good and by ancient people
                              long time proofed tool. I will never say nothing against it. I myself
                              are in process of creating Terra Preta. But (Oh Lord! Another "but),
                              I´am living in a region with periodic rain. My rain harvesting this year
                              was absolutely more than succesfull! Thousands of liters in storage and
                              only a very few times in need to use. End of month September, when the
                              first cold and frosty nights came up, I had to let the water from the
                              storages go the nearby creek. Otherwise it would have blast my storage
                              containers.

                              The origin of Terra Preta is different from the climatic situation at my
                              or at Dieter´s location. Dieter´s location is, hmh, let me say: poor. My
                              location tends more too the rich. Off course different to the location
                              where Terra Preta was found. In Amazonian region there is coldness,
                              there are no frosty season like german winter. I am a german livingi
                              Southwest of Germany - latitude of Strassbourg/France. In wintertime
                              soil microbes in my region go to a kind of "sleep", like hedgehogs do.
                              Prücess of Terra Preta will also got to have a winter rest, start again
                              in spring time, depending on how long frosty climatic soil situation
                              will be. It is different from year to year, sometimes from October to
                              May, sometimes November to April - every changing possible. Absolutely
                              NOT the same like in Portugal or whereever in the world.

                              Water is the key for any process of life on this planet. Still our
                              common question is and will be: How to get enough.

                              You know what I mean?

                              In respect, Kyosan
                            • Michael Meredith
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 6, 2009
                                Seems to me that any one in a dry climate would want to do swales, tanks, and charcoal, as the charcoal is permanant, acts to hold onto water, and , further, is a sponge for micro-organisms to hide in. In fact, many sewage plants, and bio-gas units, use charcoal for this very purpose. His organic matter blows away, or cooks off, in the amazon, it washes away, and cooks off. Could be something there(for the old Dieter).

                                Heres some more stuff I am doing...............

                                I finally got the clothing started on the 30 foot tall statue. See some photos here.............

                                .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/meredith848/?albumview=slideshow.

                                Then..... bigsculpture.org...., which explains it

                                Michael

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 24, 2010
                                  I didnt see any photos of what it looked like several years later, so feel that
                                  I wasted my time.
                                  Michael

                                  > Please go through this video.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.archive org/details/ MasanobuFukuoka- ArnissaGreece- 1998
                                  >
                                  > fukuoka in video, afforestation using seed balls.
                                • Michael Meredith
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                                    Greece was filled with large trees at the time of Plato, then they cut to burn,
                                    and brought in the sheep....

                                    Hello Jason
                                    I believe I have answered this question before (on the results of the seeding
                                    project - with Fukuoka-San' s participation) .

                                    The volunteers had an agreement with the national government that they would
                                    safeguard the area - they were to pay the herders to keep the goats and sheep
                                    away from the area.

                                    A few weeks after the area was seeded, the government changed hands from one
                                    party to the other; the herders were not paid, and as soon as the seed balls
                                    sprouted and the area turned green, the goats and sheep had a field day -
                                    nothing was left.

                                    I am just passing along what Panos told me - I have not been at the seeding
                                    project.

                                    Kostas
                                  • Jean Villafuerte
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                                      What a waste!
                                      jean
                                      http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                                      http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                                      http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                                      http://www.tcformoc.com/
                                      http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                                      visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                                        To all, Here's a great show from David Suzuki. Soil microbes and no till
                                        discussed.

                                        http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bottomline_20110127_43608.mp3

                                      • Jason Stewart
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 4, 2011
                                          Dear all,

                                          Thank you very much Steve Grannis for these informative radio shows hosted
                                          by David Suzuki,
                                          (for those who don't know:) Japanese-Canadian internationally famous (in the
                                          'West') leading figure, in his very very active life in ecological
                                          sustainability (activist), and former professor of genetic science,

                                          –i found the full podcasts page at:
                                          -> feed://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/bottomline.xml
                                          from: -> http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent#bottomline

                                          On Soils, the 4 segments (A & B of each) of the 2 whole programs, make IMHO
                                          worthwhile information filled, myth-busting and convention–transcending
                                          programs, with some real points of entertainment value also.
                                          (For one of several examples:
                                          Joel Salatin, USA, has a great sense of humour,
                                          rather loose in scholarly terms while very funny, witty and engaging,
                                          –no wonder he's an international speaker–
                                          not always so scholarly accurate (correct, although mostly so) and
                                          not always so strictly sustainable as our legend late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                                          sensei,
                                          but very helpful entertaining,
                                          engaging–for–otherwise–uninterested–or–skeptical–people, and informative
                                          speaker, all the same, and
                                          in the same direction, polyculture,
                                          alike to, "mimicking" of, nature, farming
                                          as our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu accomplished, in actual nature –in terms
                                          of at once both philosophical awareness of himself as nature, part thereof, and
                                          full farming practice ie. –fully accomplished nature farming–
                                          ie. –i mean, Joel Salatin evidently, taking himself and all us listeners to him,
                                          in the direction towards nature, via towards our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka
                                          Masanobu ... .
                                          (in this radio program with David Suzuki and in his farming talks
                                          internationally –he spoke across parts of Australia recently for example, eg.
                                          see:
                                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bushtelegraph/stories/2010/3077380.htm , and:
                                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/2910011.htm )
                                          My Reference: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
                                          )

                                          Thanks again,
                                          Biggest best wishes to all, all life, all persons, all human persons and
                                          non-human persons.
                                          -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3081310.htm

                                          Jason Stewart
                                          —busy in practice in the nature farm, region:far east gippsland, state:
                                          Victoria, Oz
                                          (vernacular for so called Australia).