Re: [fukuoka_farming] Potatoes

  • Gary Granada
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      We are looking of farming investors to invest in any crops here in the Mindanao, Philippines. We have lot of undeveloped land areas. Thanks. Gary B. Granada

      From: Dieter Brand <brand.dieter@ gmail.com>

      To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 4:42 PM

      Jeff,

      What are potatoe towers?

      In theory it is possible to grow potatoes on the soil surface under a

      layer of mulch. The problem is that you need an awful lot of mulching

      material to cover the potatoes and, at least in my case, a good deal

      of compost or the potatoes tend to be rather smallish. Since I don’t

      do much heap composting anymore, I reverted to burying them in a

      shallow hole and then cover with mulch.

      I usually put the seed potatoes in the ground in January so the greens

      will appear in the second half of February by which time the nights

      are usually frost-free. I keep on adding mulch during March and April

      when more mulching material becomes available. It is best to use

      green weedy material. Don’t use too much woody material or your

      potatoes may develop a fungus. If I let the potatoes get overgrown by

      weeds and grass, the yield tends towards zero.

      Dieter Brand

      Portugal

      On 5/28/09, Jeff <shultonus@hotmail. com> wrote:

      > I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive.. .

      > but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're

      > growing...

      > does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?

    • dayjean455
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        Gary,

        You don't need investors to go to Mindanao to do big-time farming. You can just teach small farmers to do natural farming. It could be difficult but it is worth the effort. Little by little and slowly, we can make a difference.

        I'm a fan of yours, Gary. Our family enjoys your music very much and we're even using it during our Change Politics Movement meetings.

        Thanks for your music.

        Jean Justimbaste
        Pagtinabangay Foundation
        www.geocities.com/pfft_2000