Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fwd: Participation report - Dr .H.Ravishankar, “National Level Seminar on Mnago Cultivati on under Natural Conditions (without using pesticides, ferti lizers and even organic manures)”.

  • david.keltie@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 2:49 AM
      Attachments in email groups don't work. Can you post it to the files
      section of the group - I'd like to read it.

      Thanks, David

    • John Vijaya
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 6:50 PM
        I'm sorry David, I didn't know that attachments to the group does not work.
        Below is the document.

        * ******

        Sir,

        Please find enclosed herewith the participation report submitted by
        Dr.H.Ravishankar, Acting Head, Division of Plant Genetic Resources of this
        Institute towards his participation in the *�National Level Seminar on Mnago
        Cultivation under Natural Conditions (without using pesticides, fertilizers
        and even organic manures)�.* organized by Academy of Natural Farming, Mysore,
        on 2nd May 2009 at Doddainduvai village � 571 443, Kollegal Taluk,
        Chamarajanagar district.

        Kindly acknowledge the receipt.

        Yours
        faithfully,

        Sd/-

        CHAIRMAN

        e-MAIL: kailashnatufarm@...

        kailash_natufarm@...

        *Report on the participation by Dr. H.Ravishankar , Principal Scientist and
        Head (A) in One day�National Level Seminar on Mango Cultivation Under
        Natural Conditions (without using pesticides , fertilizers and even organic
        manure)� organized on 02.05.2009 at Doddainduvai village-571 443, Kollegal
        taluk, Chamarajanagar district by Academy of Natural Farming, Mysore*

        In pursuance of the office order F.No.RMCU/1.9.2/2009/127
        DT. 24thApril,2009of the Chairman, RMCU ,IIHR,
        Bangalore, the undersigned participated in the One day �National Level
        Seminar on Mango Cultivation Under Natural Conditions (without using
        pesticides , fertilizers and even organic manure)� held at Doddainduvai
        village-571 443, Kollegal taluk, Chamarajanagar district by Academy of Natural
        Farming, Mysore on 02.05.2009.

        The programme was presided over by Dr.Yellappareddy , IFS, (Rtd)
        Principal Secretary to Department of Environment and Forest, Government of
        Karnataka , while Dr.Deshpande, Director, Institute for Social and Economic
        change, Bangalore inaugurated with guests of honour, Dr.Kanwarpal, IFS,
        Dr.Basappa, IFS and Dr.H.Ravishankar . The staff and students of Department
        of Environmental Science, Bangalore University, KVK (UAS, Bangalore) ,
        Assistant Conservator of Forests, GOK, farmers of the surrounding area and
        other districts , practicing farmers of natural farming from Tamil Nadu
        participated in the deliberations.

        *Background information about the farming unit:***

        * *The farming unit with an area of 6.5 acres is owned by Mr.
        Kailash Murthy since 1984 and located in a dry terrain. The land area is
        situated by the side of a stream which is seasonal in nature and the soil is
        sandy loam in texture, quite friable and fairly dark in colour perhaps
        attributable to the rich organic matter status prevailing (confirmed by
        visual examination of soil samples displayed at the site representing
        situation
        �before� and �after� adoption of natural farming ). It was informed by the
        farmer that in the initial years of farming, he pursued chemical intensive
        approach ending up with no appreciable remedies to the different problems
        encountered in the farm, though record yields were harvested for some years,
        subsequently yields started declining, pest and disease problems became
        unmanageable and hence he decided to switch over to natural farming from
        1988 onwards with no tillage, fertilizers, even organic manures and
        pesticides used. In nutshell, no external inputs are reported to be used.
        According to him , he was inspired by the practices advocated by the
        Japanese natural farming pioneer Masonob Fukuwoka that believed in the
        principle of natural farming which is of the nature, by the nature and for
        the nature improving soil productivity .The entire unit is under drip
        irrigation and in some parts, a cover crop of Pureria adopted. Fairly good
        population of earthworms could be noticed in the unit. No weeding is
        practiced in the unit but allowed to grow naturally, complete life cycle
        with litter recycling along with other crop wastes viz. areca nut-coconut
        fronds dropping and other residues. The entire unit was observed to be
        covered with a thick layer (about 6-9�) of leaf litter falling from a
        variety of trees /shrubs /herbs and accumulating naturally on the ground. A
        process of natural litter recycling appeared to be facilitated with no human
        intervention. Peacock egg laying, nesting by Great Hornbill and habitat for
        snakes could be noticed. The prevailing situation almost mimicked a forest
        ecosystem. The entire unit, it is claimed is managed by one labour.

        *Crop components in the farming unit: *

        * *A pattern similar to multi-storied cropping system exists
        predominantly horti - silviculture type with no systematic arrangement of
        component crops. The different crops appear to have been introduced into the
        system at different times. The major plant components involved in the effort
        are represented here below:

        *Horticulture components* � Mango (*Mangifera indica*), Guava (*Psidium
        guajava*), Jackfruit (*Artocarpus heterophyllus*), Butter fruit (*Persea
        americana*), *Cordia myxa, *Coconut (*Cocos nucifera*), Arecanut (*Areca
        catechu*), Papaya (*Carica papaya*) different varieties , Jamun (*Syzgium
        jambos*), Litchi (*Litchi chinensis*), wild ber (*Zizyphus spp.*),
        Pomegranate (*Punica granatum*), Acid lime (*Citrus aurantifolia*),
        lemon (*Citrus
        limon*) , Pummelo (*Citrus grandis*), Sweet orange (*Citrus sinensis*),
        Banana (*Musa paradisiaca*), Sitaphal (*Annona squamosa*), Sapota (*Manilkara
        achras* M. Fosberg), Drumstick (*Moringa oleifera*), Coffee (*Coffea arabica
        *); seasonal vegetables

        *Silviculture components* � Teak (*Tectona grandis*), Honne (*Pterocarpus
        marsupium*), Rosewood (*Dalbergia latifolia*), Kadu Seege ( *Acacia
        spinosa*),Nilotika
        (*Acacia nilotica*) , Silk cotton (*Bombax malabarica* ), Neem tree
        (*Azadiracta
        indica*), Kakke mara / �Raja vriksha� ( *Cassia fistula*) , Bage (*Albizia
        lebeck*) . A good number of medicinal plant species were also found growing
        in the system .

        In the ground cover (first storey) , a wide range of weed species
        belonging to Solanaceae (*S.nigrum, S.xanthocarpum, Datura spp.*),
        Leguminoceae (*Sesbania spp.*), Acanthaceae (*Andrographis spp. Thunbergia
        alata, Jesticia spp.*), Asclepidiaceae (*Calotropis gigantean, Tylophora
        indica*), Amaranthaceae ( *Achyranthus aspera*, *Amaranthus spinosus,
        A.tricolor,A.viridis Alternanthera spp. Celosia argentia, Gomphrena
        celosoides*),Asteraceae (*Acanthospermum hispidum, Ageratum
        conyzoides,Bidens biternata, Eupatorium odoratum, Lagasca mollis, Parthenium
        hysterophorus,Tridax procumbens,Xanthium strumarium*),Cyperaceae (*Cyperus
        rotundus*), Euphorbiaceae (*Euphorbia hirta*, *Acalypha indica,Croton spp.
        Phyllanthus spp.*) Abaceae (*Cassia serricea*, ), Poaceae (*Cyanadon
        dactylon, Panicum prostratum, Setaria spp.*), Verbenaceae (*Lantana camara,
        Stachytarpeta indica*), Zygophyllaceae (*Tribulus terrestris*) along with
        many other unidentified species could be seen. In some parts of the farming
        unit under areca nut, a cover crop of Pureria growing luxuriantly was
        observed. This diversified ground cover flora together with other crop
        residues in the farming system, it is presumed could be contributing to
        dynamic natural litter recycling and humus build up over a period of time.
        In some portion of the unit *Coffea arabica * was also found planted, the
        performance of which is however average.* *

        In the second storey, many perennial shrubs/fruit trees of
        horticultural importance were found planted though not systematically
        arranged. Notable among them include, mango (a few of them reportedly more
        than four generations old), sapota, papaya, annona, banana, drumstick which
        appear to have contributed to the sustainability of the system.

        In the third storey, perennial trees, both horticultural and
        forest species could be seen. They include, areca nut, coconut, teak, honne,
        rose wood, Kakke, neem etc.,

        Thus the above system presents a multi-storied cropping pattern
        thriving under the dynamics of natural forces quite close to the ones
        prevalent in some of the forest ecosystems of the Western Ghats.

        *Some observations**:*

        * *During the brief period of visit of the undersigned, there was
        little scope for gathering precise information on the performance of
        different components of the farming unit, a cursory appraisal after
        collating information generated by the researchers of Department of
        Environmental Science, Bangalore University however was attempted. The
        salient aspects of the same are indicated as below:

        � The soil of the unit is dark, light in texture,
        friable and with good water holding capacity and soil aeration ; rich in
        organic matter ( OC-2.7 per cent- DOES, BU)**

        � Good earthworm activity; large quantities of earthworm
        castings in the area**

        � Maximum Land Use Index(LUI), maximum use of solar
        energy, ; greater biomass production ; good vigour, canopy development and
        general good health of component crops (broadly indicated by the dark green
        colour and larger leaf sizes of respective crops; minimum pests and diseases
        attack); High yields of good quality produce (sweet taste, flavour, better
        keeping quality) in areca nut, coconut, mango, banana , papaya ,drumstick .*
        *

        *�** *Areca nut plants are found healthy and productive and appear to
        be the mainstay of the sustainability factor of the farming unit followed by
        mango and coconut. Mango trees though were found infested by gall midge and
        symptoms of *Colletotrichum* incidence observed, trees produced good yields.
        In quite a few mango trees, fruit fly traps developed by our Institute could
        be seen hanging. Eryophid mite incidence in coconut was found quite
        minimum. Banana plants with average bunch weights of approximately 40-45 kg
        were reportedly harvested and TricoRich, a IIHR product for management of
        nematodes was informed to be used. Drumstick plants were found heavily laden
        with fruits of good quality (bold, plump and tender). The varietal status of
        papaya was unclear, though plant growth was found satisfactory, the fruit
        size and quality (attractive colour, firm pulp and sweet taste) were very
        good and no incidence of PRSV was observed. Citrus crops presented however
        presented a range of nutrient related problems with symptoms of interveinal
        chlorosis and varying patterns of leaf mottling which need further
        investigations.

        � Diversity of flora and fauna (butterflies, Peacocks,
        Great Hornbills, variety of other birds visits and their nesting, small
        mammals, reptiles etc.,) - rich biota; Rich microbial consortia of bacteria,
        actinomycetes and fungi were reportedly found in the soil samples of the
        rhizosphere (DOES, BU)**

        � Possibilities of checking of soil erosion because of
        thick ground cover **

        � Scope for recharging of ground water aquifers
        resulting from good percolation of rain water**

        � Possibilities of greater sequestration of
        carbon-di-oxide ( a study of DOES-BU has estimated that annually 1085 tons
        of Carbon is sequestered by the farming unit largely represented by areca
        nut, mango, neem, teak, rose wood , silver oak totaling about 3069 trees)**

        � The farming unit is reported to be managed by a single
        labour with no external inputs being used.**

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 1:11 AM
          Fantastic diversity. Many thanks for posting this.

          David