Re: [fukuoka_farming] food forrest

  • George.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      A workmate is slowly building a temperate variety of this style of garden. He has a small section that backs on to a smallish piece of council owned (shallow) gulley land with a small stream/storm water drain running through it.

      He 'annexed' the council land and started to tidy it up. The land was formerly overgrown and neglected and used to dump stuff.

      It now has native plants & trees growing along sections of the gulley bank and shade plants covering the stream for native eels. He has a sun facing vegetable garden and a variety of fruit and nut trees spaced out in strategic places.

      On his section he has further fruit trees planted and berry canes dotted around the place with vegetables interspersed with the trees and in a couple of small gardens.

      The section isn't overgrown in that you can walk around it and there is grass to mow however much of the outside space has been captured as growing space.

      I was very impressed with it when I saw it.aes my garden look bare by comparison through I have started to put in some fruit trees and will slowy start adding apple trees from his winter onward.

      rob