Fwd: Participation report - Dr.H.Ravishankar, “Nat ional Level Seminar on Mnago Cultivation under Natural Condi tions (without using pesticides, fertilizers and even organi c manures)”.

  • John Vijaya
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2009
      Hello everybody,
      Kailsh Murty is a Natural Farmer from Karnataka, India. You can find a word
      document as an attachment, given from the university of Agricultural
      Sciences, Bangalore,India.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        Attachments in email groups don't work. Can you post it to the files
        section of the group - I'd like to read it.

        Thanks, David

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
          I'm sorry David, I didn't know that attachments to the group does not work.
          Below is the document.

          * ******

          Sir,

          Please find enclosed herewith the participation report submitted by
          Dr.H.Ravishankar, Acting Head, Division of Plant Genetic Resources of this
          Institute towards his participation in the *�National Level Seminar on Mnago
          Cultivation under Natural Conditions (without using pesticides, fertilizers
          and even organic manures)�.* organized by Academy of Natural Farming, Mysore,
          on 2nd May 2009 at Doddainduvai village � 571 443, Kollegal Taluk,
          Chamarajanagar district.

          Kindly acknowledge the receipt.

          Yours
          faithfully,

          Sd/-

          CHAIRMAN

          e-MAIL: kailashnatufarm@...

          kailash_natufarm@...

          *Report on the participation by Dr. H.Ravishankar , Principal Scientist and
          Head (A) in One day�National Level Seminar on Mango Cultivation Under
          Natural Conditions (without using pesticides , fertilizers and even organic
          manure)� organized on 02.05.2009 at Doddainduvai village-571 443, Kollegal
          taluk, Chamarajanagar district by Academy of Natural Farming, Mysore*

          In pursuance of the office order F.No.RMCU/1.9.2/2009/127
          DT. 24thApril,2009of the Chairman, RMCU ,IIHR,
          Bangalore, the undersigned participated in the One day �National Level
          Seminar on Mango Cultivation Under Natural Conditions (without using
          pesticides , fertilizers and even organic manure)� held at Doddainduvai
          village-571 443, Kollegal taluk, Chamarajanagar district by Academy of Natural
          Farming, Mysore on 02.05.2009.

          The programme was presided over by Dr.Yellappareddy , IFS, (Rtd)
          Principal Secretary to Department of Environment and Forest, Government of
          Karnataka , while Dr.Deshpande, Director, Institute for Social and Economic
          change, Bangalore inaugurated with guests of honour, Dr.Kanwarpal, IFS,
          Dr.Basappa, IFS and Dr.H.Ravishankar . The staff and students of Department
          of Environmental Science, Bangalore University, KVK (UAS, Bangalore) ,
          Assistant Conservator of Forests, GOK, farmers of the surrounding area and
          other districts , practicing farmers of natural farming from Tamil Nadu
          participated in the deliberations.

          *Background information about the farming unit:***

          * *The farming unit with an area of 6.5 acres is owned by Mr.
          Kailash Murthy since 1984 and located in a dry terrain. The land area is
          situated by the side of a stream which is seasonal in nature and the soil is
          sandy loam in texture, quite friable and fairly dark in colour perhaps
          attributable to the rich organic matter status prevailing (confirmed by
          visual examination of soil samples displayed at the site representing
          situation
          �before� and �after� adoption of natural farming ). It was informed by the
          farmer that in the initial years of farming, he pursued chemical intensive
          approach ending up with no appreciable remedies to the different problems
          encountered in the farm, though record yields were harvested for some years,
          subsequently yields started declining, pest and disease problems became
          unmanageable and hence he decided to switch over to natural farming from
          1988 onwards with no tillage, fertilizers, even organic manures and
          pesticides used. In nutshell, no external inputs are reported to be used.
          According to him , he was inspired by the practices advocated by the
          Japanese natural farming pioneer Masonob Fukuwoka that believed in the
          principle of natural farming which is of the nature, by the nature and for
          the nature improving soil productivity .The entire unit is under drip
          irrigation and in some parts, a cover crop of Pureria adopted. Fairly good
          population of earthworms could be noticed in the unit. No weeding is
          practiced in the unit but allowed to grow naturally, complete life cycle
          with litter recycling along with other crop wastes viz. areca nut-coconut
          fronds dropping and other residues. The entire unit was observed to be
          covered with a thick layer (about 6-9�) of leaf litter falling from a
          variety of trees /shrubs /herbs and accumulating naturally on the ground. A
          process of natural litter recycling appeared to be facilitated with no human
          intervention. Peacock egg laying, nesting by Great Hornbill and habitat for
          snakes could be noticed. The prevailing situation almost mimicked a forest
          ecosystem. The entire unit, it is claimed is managed by one labour.

          *Crop components in the farming unit: *

          * *A pattern similar to multi-storied cropping system exists
          predominantly horti - silviculture type with no systematic arrangement of
          component crops. The different crops appear to have been introduced into the
          system at different times. The major plant components involved in the effort
          are represented here below:

          *Horticulture components* � Mango (*Mangifera indica*), Guava (*Psidium
          guajava*), Jackfruit (*Artocarpus heterophyllus*), Butter fruit (*Persea
          americana*), *Cordia myxa, *Coconut (*Cocos nucifera*), Arecanut (*Areca
          catechu*), Papaya (*Carica papaya*) different varieties , Jamun (*Syzgium
          jambos*), Litchi (*Litchi chinensis*), wild ber (*Zizyphus spp.*),
          Pomegranate (*Punica granatum*), Acid lime (*Citrus aurantifolia*),
          lemon (*Citrus
          limon*) , Pummelo (*Citrus grandis*), Sweet orange (*Citrus sinensis*),
          Banana (*Musa paradisiaca*), Sitaphal (*Annona squamosa*), Sapota (*Manilkara
          achras* M. Fosberg), Drumstick (*Moringa oleifera*), Coffee (*Coffea arabica
          *); seasonal vegetables

          *Silviculture components* � Teak (*Tectona grandis*), Honne (*Pterocarpus
          marsupium*), Rosewood (*Dalbergia latifolia*), Kadu Seege ( *Acacia
          spinosa*),Nilotika
          (*Acacia nilotica*) , Silk cotton (*Bombax malabarica* ), Neem tree
          (*Azadiracta
          indica*), Kakke mara / �Raja vriksha� ( *Cassia fistula*) , Bage (*Albizia
          lebeck*) . A good number of medicinal plant species were also found growing
          in the system .

          In the ground cover (first storey) , a wide range of weed species
          belonging to Solanaceae (*S.nigrum, S.xanthocarpum, Datura spp.*),
          Leguminoceae (*Sesbania spp.*), Acanthaceae (*Andrographis spp. Thunbergia
          alata, Jesticia spp.*), Asclepidiaceae (*Calotropis gigantean, Tylophora
          indica*), Amaranthaceae ( *Achyranthus aspera*, *Amaranthus spinosus,
          A.tricolor,A.viridis Alternanthera spp. Celosia argentia, Gomphrena
          celosoides*),Asteraceae (*Acanthospermum hispidum, Ageratum
          conyzoides,Bidens biternata, Eupatorium odoratum, Lagasca mollis, Parthenium
          hysterophorus,Tridax procumbens,Xanthium strumarium*),Cyperaceae (*Cyperus
          rotundus*), Euphorbiaceae (*Euphorbia hirta*, *Acalypha indica,Croton spp.
          Phyllanthus spp.*) Abaceae (*Cassia serricea*, ), Poaceae (*Cyanadon
          dactylon, Panicum prostratum, Setaria spp.*), Verbenaceae (*Lantana camara,
          Stachytarpeta indica*), Zygophyllaceae (*Tribulus terrestris*) along with
          many other unidentified species could be seen. In some parts of the farming
          unit under areca nut, a cover crop of Pureria growing luxuriantly was
          observed. This diversified ground cover flora together with other crop
          residues in the farming system, it is presumed could be contributing to
          dynamic natural litter recycling and humus build up over a period of time.
          In some portion of the unit *Coffea arabica * was also found planted, the
          performance of which is however average.* *

          In the second storey, many perennial shrubs/fruit trees of
          horticultural importance were found planted though not systematically
          arranged. Notable among them include, mango (a few of them reportedly more
          than four generations old), sapota, papaya, annona, banana, drumstick which
          appear to have contributed to the sustainability of the system.

          In the third storey, perennial trees, both horticultural and
          forest species could be seen. They include, areca nut, coconut, teak, honne,
          rose wood, Kakke, neem etc.,

          Thus the above system presents a multi-storied cropping pattern
          thriving under the dynamics of natural forces quite close to the ones
          prevalent in some of the forest ecosystems of the Western Ghats.

          *Some observations**:*

          * *During the brief period of visit of the undersigned, there was
          little scope for gathering precise information on the performance of
          different components of the farming unit, a cursory appraisal after
          collating information generated by the researchers of Department of
          Environmental Science, Bangalore University however was attempted. The
          salient aspects of the same are indicated as below:

          � The soil of the unit is dark, light in texture,
          friable and with good water holding capacity and soil aeration ; rich in
          organic matter ( OC-2.7 per cent- DOES, BU)**

          � Good earthworm activity; large quantities of earthworm
          castings in the area**

          � Maximum Land Use Index(LUI), maximum use of solar
          energy, ; greater biomass production ; good vigour, canopy development and
          general good health of component crops (broadly indicated by the dark green
          colour and larger leaf sizes of respective crops; minimum pests and diseases
          attack); High yields of good quality produce (sweet taste, flavour, better
          keeping quality) in areca nut, coconut, mango, banana , papaya ,drumstick .*
          *

          *�** *Areca nut plants are found healthy and productive and appear to
          be the mainstay of the sustainability factor of the farming unit followed by
          mango and coconut. Mango trees though were found infested by gall midge and
          symptoms of *Colletotrichum* incidence observed, trees produced good yields.
          In quite a few mango trees, fruit fly traps developed by our Institute could
          be seen hanging. Eryophid mite incidence in coconut was found quite
          minimum. Banana plants with average bunch weights of approximately 40-45 kg
          were reportedly harvested and TricoRich, a IIHR product for management of
          nematodes was informed to be used. Drumstick plants were found heavily laden
          with fruits of good quality (bold, plump and tender). The varietal status of
          papaya was unclear, though plant growth was found satisfactory, the fruit
          size and quality (attractive colour, firm pulp and sweet taste) were very
          good and no incidence of PRSV was observed. Citrus crops presented however
          presented a range of nutrient related problems with symptoms of interveinal
          chlorosis and varying patterns of leaf mottling which need further
          investigations.

          � Diversity of flora and fauna (butterflies, Peacocks,
          Great Hornbills, variety of other birds visits and their nesting, small
          mammals, reptiles etc.,) - rich biota; Rich microbial consortia of bacteria,
          actinomycetes and fungi were reportedly found in the soil samples of the
          rhizosphere (DOES, BU)**

          � Possibilities of checking of soil erosion because of
          thick ground cover **

          � Scope for recharging of ground water aquifers
          resulting from good percolation of rain water**

          � Possibilities of greater sequestration of
          carbon-di-oxide ( a study of DOES-BU has estimated that annually 1085 tons
          of Carbon is sequestered by the farming unit largely represented by areca
          nut, mango, neem, teak, rose wood , silver oak totaling about 3069 trees)**

          � The farming unit is reported to be managed by a single
          labour with no external inputs being used.**

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
            Fantastic diversity. Many thanks for posting this.

            David