Re: [fukuoka_farming] farmer and farming

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2009
      Shashi,

      I think there may have been a little misunderstanding. It has been
      said on this list that Fukuoka’s son practices organic farming. I
      don’t know anything about the specific methods he uses. What I did
      say, however, was that most Natural Farmers in Japan (at least the
      small-scale non-mechanized ones) appear to follow Kawaguchi’s method
      of transplanting rice into paddy fields. I’m not sure if it is
      possible to pin-point a single reason for this preference, but it has
      been pointed out that yield is more dependable with this method. And
      a dependable yield is of course important if you intend to do farming
      for a living.

      According to a comparison I saw the other day, Kawaguchi’s method
      produces yields about 10% to 20% below those obtained by organic or
      conventional farming. The reason for this is probably that he doesn’t
      use fertilizers and that he allows some weeds to grow. Still,
      considering lower input and high prices of organic produce in Japan,
      the income per acre can be higher than that obtained by organic or
      conventional farming, if you don’t count the labor that is. His
      method is rather labor intensive, which can be a draw-back in a
      country with high wages.

      I don’t have enough water to grow rice. If I had, I would look at the
      aigamo rice-duck integrated system. There is also the Iwasawa method
      of growing rice by Natural Farming which is supposed to produce very
      high yields, but I think this is probably still in the experimental
      stage. I think he even developed a planter for his method.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal