Potatoes

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009
      I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive...
      but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're growing...

      does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?
    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2009
        Jeff,

        What are potatoe towers?

        In theory it is possible to grow potatoes on the soil surface under a
        layer of mulch. The problem is that you need an awful lot of mulching
        material to cover the potatoes and, at least in my case, a good deal
        of compost or the potatoes tend to be rather smallish. Since I don’t
        do much heap composting anymore, I reverted to burying them in a
        shallow hole and then cover with mulch.

        I usually put the seed potatoes in the ground in January so the greens
        will appear in the second half of February by which time the nights
        are usually frost-free. I keep on adding mulch during March and April
        when more mulching material becomes available. It is best to use
        green weedy material. Don’t use too much woody material or your
        potatoes may develop a fungus. If I let the potatoes get overgrown by
        weeds and grass, the yield tends towards zero.

        Dieter Brand
        Portugal

        On 5/28/09, Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:

        > I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive...
        > but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're
        > growing...
        >
        > does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?

      • Clyde Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2009
          Check this link out...I haven't tried it yet, I plan to next year though. It's plans for potato condo's.

          http://www.gardencityseeds.net/growers1.php

          http://www.myspace.com/Cleeetus

          In theory it is possible to grow potatoes on the soil surface under a
          layer of mulch.  The problem is that you need an awful lot of mulching
          material to cover the potatoes and, at least in my case, a good deal
          of compost or the potatoes tend to be rather smallish.  Since I don’t
          do much heap composting anymore, I reverted to burying them in a
          shallow hole and then cover with mulch.

          I usually put the seed potatoes in the ground in January so the greens
          will appear in the second half of February by which time the nights
          are usually frost-free.  I keep on adding mulch during March and April
          when more mulching material becomes available.  It is best to use
          green weedy material.  Don’t use too much woody material or your
          potatoes may develop a fungus.  If I let the potatoes get overgrown by
          weeds and grass, the yield tends towards zero.

          Dieter Brand
          Portugal

          On 5/28/09, Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:

          > I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive...
          > but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're
          > growing...
          >
          > does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?

        • George.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
            I grew my potatos in straw. I buried the seed potatos but then kept covering the stems with straw. I got a useful harvest. Trying with tyre stacks was a disaster.

            rob

            Check this link out...I haven't tried it yet, I plan to next year though. It's plans for potato condo's.

            http://www.gardencityseeds.net/growers1.php

            http://www.myspace.com/Cleeetus

            In theory it is possible to grow potatoes on the soil surface under a
            layer of mulch. The problem is that you need an awful lot of mulching
            material to cover the potatoes and, at least in my case, a good deal
            of compost or the potatoes tend to be rather smallish. Since I don’t
            do much heap composting anymore, I reverted to burying them in a
            shallow hole and then cover with mulch.

            I usually put the seed potatoes in the ground in January so the greens
            will appear in the second half of February by which time the nights
            are usually frost-free. I keep on adding mulch during March and April
            when more mulching material becomes available. It is best to use
            green weedy material. Don’t use too much woody material or your
            potatoes may develop a fungus. If I let the potatoes get overgrown by
            weeds and grass, the yield tends towards zero.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

            On 5/28/09, Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:

            > I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive...
            > but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're
            > growing...
            >
            > does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?

          • Gary Granada
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
              We are looking of farming investors to invest in any crops here in the Mindanao, Philippines. We have lot of undeveloped land areas. Thanks. Gary B. Granada

              From: Dieter Brand <brand.dieter@ gmail.com>

              To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

              Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 4:42 PM

              On 5/28/09, Jeff <shultonus@hotmail. com> wrote:

              > I realize that building a potato tower is highly productive.. .

              > but not really practical for me because I'm 60 miles away from where they're

              > growing...

              > does anyone have suggestions on how Fukuoka would grow his potatoes?

            • dayjean455
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
                Gary,

                You don't need investors to go to Mindanao to do big-time farming. You can just teach small farmers to do natural farming. It could be difficult but it is worth the effort. Little by little and slowly, we can make a difference.

                I'm a fan of yours, Gary. Our family enjoys your music very much and we're even using it during our Change Politics Movement meetings.

                Thanks for your music.

                Jean Justimbaste
                Pagtinabangay Foundation
                www.geocities.com/pfft_2000