Re: [fukuoka_farming] biotrophics Don - Re: On Fungus - Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

  • Don Graves
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hi Leland
      I don't know what you understand by the term BIOTROPHY??

      As indicated in my previous message, 'biotrophy' means one organism
      obtaining at least some of its nutrients from a healthy living organism (eg.
      like a foetus in the womb)
      ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI (aka ENDO-MYCORRHIZAs) obtain mineral
      nutrients from the soil, but MUST obtain CARBON (ENERGY) from living plant
      host roots. ENDOMYCORRHIZAL FUNGI do not decompose non-living carbon
      sources as do ECTO-MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI that are more common on woody plant
      species.
      Mycorrhizal symbiosis (plant-fungal partnership) is usually mutually
      beneficial to both plant & fungus, ... (as well as providing nutrient
      benefits to soil micro-organisms associated with or in close proximity to
      plant roots and soil fungal hyphae). However, .... during winter when light
      energy is in short supply, Carbon from plant photosynthesis may become a
      limiting nutrient for plant & fungal growth.
      This winter symbiosis situation is analagous to a foetus (or an infant) may
      be called a parasite whilst depending on it's parent for all it's needs, ...
      it is only later in the plant growing season that soil minerals such as
      phosphate directly benefit flower & seed development.

      regards